General Fiction posted January 5, 2021


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Addiction kills faith, destroys families and breaks promises

One More Broken Promise

by Leann DS


Beads of sweat rolled down Charlie's sun-burned face. Malaya was nowhere to be seen. Her brightly colored sand toys were still sitting to Charlie's left next to the cooler and bag holding ten empty Budweiser bottles and four empty juice boxes.

Charlie groaned and looked around as she sat upright on her lounge chair. She noticed that the sun was quickly setting on the horizon.

"Have I been asleep that long?" she wondered aloud, frantically looking up and down the coastline. There were a few stragglers still on the beach, but she could not spot Malaya's lime green swimsuit among them.

Charlie bounded from her seat, spilling herself and the chair into the sand. Getting to her knees, she discovered she was still drunk. Her head spun and throbbed. She felt nauseous. Rising unsteadily, she bellowed her four-year-old daughter's name, "Malalaaaaayaaa!" The salty breeze lifted her scream like a feather, carrying it over the vast sea.

Sobbing, she started to pray to God whom she had not spoken with since she was Malaya's age. "Jesus, You probably don't remember me. My name is Charlene Rose Tucker. When I was a kid, I went to First Baptist Church down on Maple with my grandma. Please let Malaya be alright. Let me find her. I promise I will never drink anoth..."

Her prayer was interrupted when she noticed a crowd gathering about 100 yards to the south. Sirens screeched in the distance.

Shattered, Charlie dropped to her knees... and reached for a beer.



Short story writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a short fiction story (250 words beg/mid/end) beginning with the sentence 'Beads of sweat rolled down Charlie's sun-burned face.' Create your own title.


Trigger warning! Contains content that may Cause emotional distress. Topics include addiction, child neglect and endangerment.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by supergold at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Leann DS All rights reserved.
Leann DS has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.