Commentary and Philosophy Non-Fiction posted January 3, 2021


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
On reviewing others

Writing Critique

by Mary Vigasin

The author has placed a warning on this post for language.

Before I joined FanStory in August 2020, I had never been a writer. However, months of isolation with someone who wants to talk history for hours, even days, will drive someone to drink or other nasty habits. In my case, I started writing.

I have in this short time had tremendous support, particularly those who see my punctuation flaws, and yes, even my grammar. Particularly, my habit of repeating a word in a sentence or two. You know which habit, I am repeating.

It most often is embarrassing to be corrected, but it is done with open and sincere encouragement, for which I am most grateful beyond my words. I see you all as a treasured gift. Content suggestions for improvement are always welcome.

I have read posts from some remarkably creative, imaginative, and talented writers. Those who can write about a turd, and make it sound as the most refreshing and beautiful thing in the world. Whereas in my writing, a turd is a turd (repeating again) so much so, the smell comes off the page.

What disturbs me the most is those who give me a lower rating for the smallest infraction, like using that twice in a paragraph or a missing comma. In these reviews, they never give me feedback on the story or the poem. They never share ideas or comments whether it can be improved in the story line or for a better character description.

I do not know if they read of my Uncle Bill's Buttons, saw me place wallpaper upside down, met Zayde's Neighbors, saw a teacher punish me severely or know I wear a size nine shoe. I do not know if they look to see who I am in my writing, or if perhaps my opportunities differed from theirs.

I do know they saw a missing comma or a repeated word.

Is the reviewer helpful or stroking a sense of superiority?
Is the writer over sensitive? Maybe, but without any feedback other than to place a comma or two, a disappointed and perhaps annoyed novice writer does not see the correction but builds an immediate wall blocking any progress.
What it does become is a missed opportunity to read more and appreciate the reviewer's work, and to draw knowledge from his or her talent and ideas. Seeing the reviewer's name with their own post may dissuade the writer from even reading the reviewer's work.

Then we both lose an opportunity for an education.




Recognized

#27
January
2021


I cannot thank those who correct and give me encouragement and yes, keep me smiling with their own posts.
One thing my husband has Asperger's. So when hears a story in the news, as an example, Syria; I am likely to get three days of the history of Syria going back to B.C. The latest topic is the history of a local radio station. Wow! I cannot wait for the ending in two or three days!
He is a peach. We have survived 10 months in isolation, so far!
























































1
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mary Vigasin All rights reserved.
Mary Vigasin has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.