General Fiction posted December 13, 2020


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Story of a storm

Winter Storm

by zanya


It was mid December. Lady Elma watched as the trees' bare boughs flashed past her carriage window. She snuggled her hands further into her bottle green muffler. Snowflakes began to fall.

Shifting nervously on the leather seat of the carriage, her mind drifted back to the first time she had made the acquaintance of Lord Henry, two years ago, at the tender age of eighteen.
Lord Henry appeared to her to be such a handsome fellow. A knight in her young woman's eyes.

Papa, Squire Edward, however, remained distant towards Lord Henry, avoiding him during the New Year' hunt at the Lodge and being careful to be absent on days when Henry came a-wooing.
Until, one day, Lord Henry sent a note to the Lodge informing Lady Elma that he would no longer be calling upon her and their courtship ritkuals would cease.

Lady Elma's young heart was broken. Some weeks later, cantering on the fells with her equerry, James, she spotted Lord Henry in the distance. She was determined to find out why he abruptly ended their courtship.

On this mid-winter night, since her father was abroad, she would journey to Lord Henry's Manor and find out the truth for herself. She was sure there had to be some mistake.

Outside of the carriage window, a harsh winter wind was blowing the snow into piles. The two grey bays pulled the carriage with difficulty, their breath forming a mist on the carriage window.

Suddenly the carriage came to a  halt.
'M'Lady Elma,' coachman Parsons called out, 'the road is becoming treacherous with freezing snowdrifts. We must lodge at the nearest inn for the night and hope to make safe passage to Lord Henry's Manor at first light.'
Lady Elma was distraught but knew there was no alternative since the weather conditions had suddenly worsened.
'How many miles to the nearest inn, Parsons,' Lady Elma called out. 'Pray, get us there as fast as you can.'
'Yes Ma'am,' Parsons replied,' the distance be a mile and a half or thereabouts.'

Lady Elma stared out of the carriage window listening to the crunch of the carriage wheels on the frozen snow.
Soon Parsons turned the horses through the iron gates of 'Black Lion Inn.'

Lady Elma watched as the innkeeper, John Brown, standing at the door of the inn in the falling snow, helped the guests with their suitcases.
'Evening Lady Elma,' he called out. 'How many nights do you require bed and board? You may use your father, Squire Edwards room at the inn for as long as you require it.'
'Evening Mr Brown,' Lady Elma replied. 'For one night, to allow this storm to pass.'

Ascending the wooden staircase in the inn, she heard the sound of a familiar voice. Pausing briefly she noticed a tall man chatting by the fireplace with an elegant young lady.
Her heart started to pound uncontrollably. She could feel her face beginning to flush.
'Oh no,' she whispered quietly to herself. 'It can't be, he can't be here at the inn.'

Standing at the top of the staircase she leaned over to get a better look. Yes, it was Lord Henry. How much older he looked, she thought. Beneath a wrinkled brow, his hair was greying slightly at the temples. Elma stared in disbelief. What was she going to do?

She proceeded purposefully to her room at the inn. An easterly wind rattled the windows. Snow was still falling heavily.
'What if there is a blizzard on the morrow and we are not able to continue our journey,' she wondered aloud. 'Papa is due back soon.'

There was a brisk knock on her door.
'Lady Elma,' one of the maids at the inn called out.
'There is a gentleman at the inn who wishes to speak to you. He is Lord Henry.'

Swooning just a little, Lady Elma did not reply immediately. Composing herself, she answered with all the sangfroid she could muster.
'Yes, tell Lord Henry I shall meet him anon in the foyer.'

Perplexed, Lady Elma took a last look in the tiny mirror on the bedroom wall and walked purposefully to meet Lord Henry.
Lord Henry sat alone by the roaring fire, smoking a cigar.
Seeing Lady Elma descend the staircase, he came forward to meet her.
'Dearest Lady Elma,' he began, ' how fortuitous our paths should cross here at the inn on this stormy night.'
'Yes, Lord Henry,' Elma replied.

He continued,' finally you have a chance to meet my daughter, Lady Anna.'
Lady Elma's countenance registered shock and she was unable to speak. She turned to walk upstairs but Lord Henry pleaded with her to stay.
'Lady Elma,' he continued, you must meet my daughter. She is eighteen, just a little younger than you are. Her late mother, Princess Josephine, whom I met while travelling in Russia, and I, were betrothed at the tender age of eighteen. according to local custom. Josephine sadly died in childbirth, leaving me to raise Anna alone. I am aware of your father's disapproval of my circumstances.'

Lady Elma's heart began to melt with compassion  for Lord Henry.
Taking her gloved hand in his, he raised it gently and thereupon placed a tender kiss.
'Lady Elma, would you accede to my request to pay you court once again, subject to your father's approval?'
Lady Elma's young woman's heart danced with joy. A tender smile played around the corners of her mouth.
Regaining her composure, she gazed tenderly at Lord Henry, replying firmly. 'yes Lord Henry, it is my dearest wish.'

Snow had ceased to fall outside, while the storm raging in Lady Elma's young heart had begun to abate.



 



Storm Approaches writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a short story where a storm is approaching. Minimum length 700 words. Maximum Length 4,000 words.

Recognized


Image from Google
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. zanya All rights reserved.
zanya has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.