Romance Fiction posted December 6, 2020 Chapters:  ...10 11 -12- 13... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Four flat tires.

A chapter in the book Football - A Novel

Football Chapter 6 part 1

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Katherine struggles raising her four sons by herself.
PREVIOUS POST:

Gabriel and Paul stood outside the office talking as Sandy Frost walked by.

Paul waved. "Have a nice day, Mrs. Frost."

Coach's eyes widened. "Mrs. Frost?" He jogged down to Katherine's classroom.

Following close behind, Paul said, "I wonder what she wanted?"

They both barged into the room. "You all right?"

She glanced up. "Why wouldn't I be?"

Mr. Edwards said, "Because Mrs. Frost was in the building."

"Yes. Sandy came to speak with me. She apologized for her husband's behavior and explained some things."

Gabriel blurted, "So she didn't threaten you or ask you to drop the charges?"

"No. She hopes the court will order medical care that he refuses to get."

The men looked at each other. Paul was the first to speak. "I guess we worried for nothing."

"Maybe so."

Katherine shook her head. "You two are starting to worry me."

Gabriel walked toward the door. "I have practice to get to." He glanced at Paul. "How about you?"

"I have paperwork that needs my attention. Good day, Mrs. Riley."

"Good bye." Katherine watched them leave and muttered, "No wonder they're friends. They're both crazy."

Paul called back, "We heard that."

TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 6 part 1

As Gabriel walked through the parking lot, a short cut to the practice field, he noticed all of Katherine's tires were flat. He used his walkie-talkie to notify Paul as he returned inside.

Gabriel asked Paul, "Do you think Mrs. Frost did this?"

Paul shook his head. "No, I think she honestly came to apologize. I think Frost did."

"This could get him locked-up, right?"

Paul cued the security video of the staff parking lot. "It will if we can prove he broke the court order. I wish this video would hurry and get back to when we returned. It had to happen after that. At least we have a time frame."

The two men watched the tape. Finally, Gabriel jumped up and pointed. "There. Who's that? It's definitely a male."

Paul moved closer. "That's a knife. Does it look like the knife he had last night?"

"Wouldn't the police still have it as evidence?"

"Maybe. Come on, turn around."

"Frost would know we have cameras surrounding that area."

"True. How we going to identify him? He's the same height and build." Paul picked up his phone. "I'll call the police."

Gabriel placed his finger on the phone stopping the call. "We better notify Katherine, and see how she wants to handle this."

"You're right. I'll call her to come here."

Coach pointed. "You don't need to. Here she comes." He stepped out of the office. "Mrs. Riley, could you talk with us a few minutes?"

She stepped in. "Of course, I was just headed home. Your faces say it's serious. Is something wrong with Jordan?"

"Jordan's fine." Gabriel glanced at Paul.

Paul avoided eye contact. "All four of your tires were slashed."

"What? How?"

Clueing up the video, Paul said, "This is how. Gabriel was on this way to practice when he noticed."

Pointing Katherine said, "Is that Mr. Frost?"

Gabriel was the first to speak, "We think so. How'd you like to handle this?"

Her eyes widened. "I'm surprised you haven't called the police."

Paul sighed. "I tried but Gabe stopped me. He thought we should wait for your instructions."

Her eyes met Gabriel's as she sat. "Thank you." She faced Paul. "Please call the police. Any idea how I'm going to get four new tires tonight?"

Removing his phone, Gabriel said, "I have a friend, Sam, who owns a garage. He'll help. I suggest you call your insurance company. They can communicate with the school's insurance. If we can prove its Frost, he should be forced to pay. Let them fight it out." He glanced at her. "Can you cover the initial cost until they decide who's paying? If not, I can help."

Paul added, "So will I."

"I can cover it. But how will I get home? I need to get Joshua from practice, and then Jordan. I'm sure they can't get it done tonight." Katherine glanced at her phone. "It's almost five-thirty."

Paul offered, "I can take you home, but I have a meeting later so won't be able to help any further."

Gabriel put his phone away. "He'll be here in about twenty minutes. He'll take your SUV to his shop. If it's all right, I can bring Jordan home."

Katherine nodded. "I guess I'll have to tell Mom what's been going on. I've been trying not to worry her. She'll have to be my taxi for everything. Think my car will be fixed by the end of the day tomorrow?"

"It should be." Gabriel checked his watch. "I need to get to the practice field. I'll return when Sam gets here." He left.

Paul pointed to a chair. "You might as well get comfortable."

Katherine took out her phone. "Mom will need to get Joshua from practice. I know I won't be home by six."

*****
When Sam arrived, Gabriel jogged up and welcomed him. Paul and Katherine came outside.

Sam checked the tires and assured Katherine he had all four in stock. For payment, he'd work with her and the insurance companies.

Gabriel assisted him loading the SUV onto the trailer. After it was loaded, Sam wiped his hands on a grease rag, and shook Katherine's hand. "I'll deliver your SUV here by early evening. Is that okay?"

"It'll have to be. I need to pick up one of my sons from football practice around six o'clock."

Sam tipped his cap and eyed Gabriel. "I'll do what I can to have it here by noon. Will that help?"

Katherine's eyes twinkled. "It would, but will that cause problems? I'm sure you already have jobs lined up."

He nodded. "Can't promise but I'll do what I can." He climbed inside the wrecker. "I need to get back. See you tomorrow."

After Sam drove away, Katherine faced Gabriel. "Thank you." She hesitated. "Did you have anything to do with possibly getting it back earlier?"

Gabriel eyed the practice field. "I'm needed."

Paul grinned. "Let's get you home." He pointed toward his car. "I'm parked over here."



CHARACTERS:

Katherine Riley: age 33 - widowed: husband died 6 months ago. She moved to Texas from NYC with her four sons.

Daisy: Katherine's yellow Labrador

Gabriel Hudson: more information later, owner of a very large English Mastiff

Reggie: a very large English Mastiff

Jeremy: Katherine's six year old son. He's in first grade.

Jordan: Katherine's fifteen year old son. He's a sophomore.

Joshua Katherine's thirteen year old son. He's in 8th grade

Joel Katherine's eleven year old son. He's in 6th grade.

Paul Edwards: High School principal and Gabriel's friend.

Rodney Frost: Math department head, at least for now.

Angie Brooks Math teacher and Katherine's friend.

Frank Collins Math teacher.

Rebecca and Harold Hudson Gabriel's parents

Sarah and Bob Beck Katherine's parents, Bob is deceased

Frank Collins math teacher

Alan Green an Assistant Principal

Sandy Frost Rodney Frost's wife

Sam Car repair shop owner







Recognized


Thank you google images for a photo of a flat tire. I also want to thank everybody for the wonderful reviews. This novel is not actually about football, but is part of the background. High School football is a national past-time in Texas. This post is a little over 800 words.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.