General Fiction posted November 30, 2020


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The keeping alive of a family tradition.

The Christmas Room (Script)

by papa55mike












Cast

Dan, the Father.
Sherry, his Wife.

Lily, the Daughter.
Sam, the Son-in-law.
Clayton, the two-month-old Grandson.



Scene 1

Dan and Sherry are sitting in their favorite chairs. Sherry is knitting while Dan channel surfs.

Dan: "You know, sweetie, I want to do something special for Lily this Christmas. But I can't figure out what." He continues to channel surf.

Sherry: "Well, we're putting the tree up tonight. I'm not sure what else there is to do." Sherry stops knitting. "Why don't you get in the shed and get out some of your father's Santas. All of his Christmas room stuff is out there."

Dan: Smiling. "Now that was a Christmas tradition. I haven't thought about that in years. The way Dad would cover each of the shelves in the living room with wrapping paper. He'd stick bows on the corners for accent." Dan sets the remote down. "He would delicately take each Santa from the box and dust it, then study the shelves for its proper spot. We'd watch him decorate for hours."

Sherry: "Don't forget the ones that sing and dance. That silly rapping Santa that sang Jingle Bells. You, Dad, and Lily were making those stupid moves." Sherry begins to imitate him in her chair. "If I only had my phone back then."

Dan: Smiling. "Those were great times. Dad always made Christmas special, no matter what we had." Dan looks puzzled. "We don't have any shelves and very little table space in the living room."

Sherry: Smiling sarcastically. "Well, you got two days to figure it out. I'm sure you'll think of something, honey."

Dan: Frowning. "Gee, thanks for the help."

Scene 2

It's December 23rd; Dan and Sherry are gazing out the door, waiting impatiently for Sam, Lily, and Clayton to arrive. 

Dan: "I'm starting to figure out what Dad said about grandchildren. How special they are. I haven't met Clayton, and I already love him."

Sherry: "I figured that out when Lily told me she was pregnant."

Sam and Lily come in the door. Sam is carrying a baby seat and a suitcase.

Lily drops her bags and runs to Sherry. "Oh, Mom!" They embrace in tears. "It's been two long years."

Dan shakes Sam's hand then peers into the baby seat. "He looks like you, Sam."

Sam: Smiling. "Don't tell Lily that."

Lily slips away from Sherry. She sees the Christmas tree and Santas everywhere. "Oh, my goodness." Lily turns to Dan. "You made the Christmas room for us?" She gently hugs him.

Dan: Looking at Sherry. "I thought it was time to begin that tradition again." 

Sherry rolls her eyes at Dan.

Dan: Looking at Sam. "I want to pass this family tradition onto you, Sam. Then you can pass it onto Clayton. But, you have to add something new to it every year."

Sam: "That would be awesome! Thank you for the honor."

Lily: "I have to show Clayton the rapping Santa." She gently takes the baby from his seat, then walks to the display. Lily presses the switch and begins to dance wildly with Clayton in her arms.

Sam: Laughing. He walks over to Lily.

Sherry: Smiling at Dan. "You did good!"

Dan: "Thank you. I love you, sweetie."

Fade Out





I was stunned when a dear friend asked me to write a script for a short Christmas video to be shown on Christmas Eve. What a blessing!

Yes, the picture is of my talking Santas. The rapping Santa is on the end. I will be turning our living room into the Christmas Room this weekend.

I'm calling all of my friends to help me edit this, and any suggestions will be deeply appreciated.

Many thanks for stopping by to read!
Have a great day, and God bless.
mike
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. papa55mike All rights reserved.
papa55mike has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.