Mystery and Crime Fiction posted November 29, 2020 Chapters:  ...11 12 -13- 14... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The Atlanta PD and the FBI arrests a dozen sexual deviants..

A chapter in the book Where Are All The Children

Astronomical Win

by Mistydawn


The sun is rising high in the clear morning skies welcoming the early commuters. The cool, damp streets are starting to fill. A few pedestrians hustle down the sidewalk; a beloved cup of brew in hand. There's a faint rumble around them as the city comes to life. 

Toni is finishing up a report at her desk. With the FBI's help, she and her crew were able to get nearly a dozen sexual predators off the street. Kicking back in her chair, Toni glances at the whiteboard. There's a vague picture of the vigilante in the center with men they'd just taken down pinned around her. Who are you, and why are you doing this? she questions for the umpteenth time. She figures there has to be a personal motive behind it. She's just not sure what. Once we figure out why she's doing this, maybe then we can figure out who.


Toni is going through the different scenarios in her head when her phone rings. She sees a message from an unknown number on her screen. She picks it up and reads: You need to get some rest, sergeant, because round two will be starting soon. A perplexed look crosses her face as Toni reads it a second time.

"What's wrong, Sergeant?" Jamal asks.

"I just received a text from our vigilante claiming there's going to be another round soon." Her device sounds again. "She says she wants to make sure no child has to go through what she did."


"So, she's a victim like you thought."

"I'm going to see if forensics can trace this cell." She picks up the phone and dials their extension. "Hey Jeff, it's Toni. Could you run a trace on this call? 404 342-1119." .... "Thanks." Toni starts to dial the vigilante's number. Thinking better of it, she texts instead. I'm sorry this happened to you, and no one was there to help. Her phone sounds again.

"What did she say this time?"


"She claims she did have help, just not from the police." Toni recalls the former FBI captain. Could she be referring to herself in the video? Toni writes back, Did he turn his back on you? She includes the agent's photos in the message. The vigilant immediately responds. "She claims she's the one who asked the FBI agent for help."Toni types, When did he do this to you?

The victim answers, Twenty-five years ago. You guys didn't find me then and you're not going to now, so stop trying.


The vigilante has managed to avoid the cameras and the public's eye, except for one brief flash. The image was so distorted that it wasn't any help. The evidence was planted, and the materials she used came from their homes.

The sergeant hoped the video's hosting website would give them a clue, but the site was created from her victim's tablet. The account was under his name. The videos were all live-streamed from the victim's phones.

Their suspect then adds you need to take a good hard look at the people around you.

Toni asks, what is that supposed to mean?


The vigilant answers, Someone in your department is corrupt.

The sergeant texts, who? Toni's heart plummets to her stomach. The color drains from her face as she stares at the answer in disbelief. Air catches in her throat. She glances at her partner, her phone, and then Jamal again. That can't be true.

"What's wrong, sergeant?"

"I was trying to picture what it must've been like for her, being abducted at such a young age." She writes, prove it.

The vigilante responds with, do your job for once.


The landline rings. Toni scoops it up. "Atlanta Pd, Sergeant Moore speaking."... "Her call is coming from Africa?" She does a quick search. "You're right. It's borders are still closed." ... "Let me know if you find anything." Hanging up, she turns towards Jamal. "I'm going to show the messages to the captain, see what he wants to do."

Walking to the door, she knocks and steps inside. "Sir, I thought you should know our vigilante claims Brad Beck was not only a part of the trafficking ring, he used his power to cover it up." She scrolls midway down the page and then hands him her phone. She points to the screen and continues, "Forensics says the text is being sent from Africa, which is impossible since their borders are closed."

He skims through the conversation. "I think it's time he and I have a long chat." He slides his thumb up to the officer's name. He glances at the detective and says, "I'll look into it."


"Thanks, captain."Toni is heading towards the elevator when Jamal calls her name.

"Dispatch just got a disturbance call at this house." He hands her a piece of paper and then continues. "The responding officers said it's identical to our other crime scenes."

"Let me tell the desk sergeant that the captain wants to talk to Brad Beck, and then we'll go."


***

They pull up to find yellow tape encompassing the yard. A couple of beat cops are doing their best to keep the crowd back. They then see what they assume to be the victim wrapped in a blanket on the porch; a rookie beside him.

An officer walks towards them as they cross the yard. "This is what we found when we arrived. He hands the sergeant a tablet and then explains. "We had to untie him for the sake of the community." He gestures towards the growing crowd.

Toni sees a naked man straddled across a sawhorse. His hands are secured to its front legs and his ankles to the back.


"The victim claims he last remembers having sexual relations with someone he met online. He wakes up to find himself in his yard."

Walking over, Toni discovers children's photos pasted to the trestle with more pictures scattered around it.

"Forensics said the photos were printed from his computer and that the originals were downloaded nearly a year ago."

Toni looks up to find Jeff heading towards her. "Speaking of forensics."

"This was on the kitchen table. I checked his messages and found this." He hands her the phone.


She sees her and the vigilant's conversation. She shakes her head and says, "She was right under my nose the entire time." She then remembers the last part of the text. She anxiously glances at Jamal and then at Jeff.

Jeff must've read her mind because he says, "I was the only one who saw it." Toni nods. Jeff points towards the victim. "The dating site where he met the assailant has been taken down, but I still should be able to trace it." He hands her an envelope. "We found this letter addressed to you by his computer. It's from the victim's personal stationery, and the only fingerprints on it are his."

Removing the letter from its enclosure, she reads through it.


"What does it say, sergeant?"

She clears her throat then begins. "Sergeant, I know you're trying to figure out who I am. I won't tell you my name, but I will tell you this, I'm a forty-one-year-old Latino woman. I'm five feet tall with long, black hair, olive skin, and almond eyes. I was abducted from my village in 1989.

"At least now we have something to go on."

Toni sighs. "Do we, or are they all worthless leads?" She glances through the crowd again.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.