Romance Fiction posted November 22, 2020 Chapters:  ...8 9 -10- 11... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Paul and Katherine make plans to go to the police station.

A chapter in the book Football - A Novel

Football Chapter 5 part 1

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Katherine struggles raising her four sons by herself.
PREVIOUS POST:


"You haven't done anything wrong. Frost's the one with the problem. You just happened to come along at the wrong time. He's taking it out on you. He'd be angry with anybody, unless it was his son who Paul hired."

"I don't understand why he keeps accusing me of me of sleeping with everybody."

"Because you're a beautiful lady and that's all he can come up with."

She smiled. "He could be a little more creative."

"I hope to see you smile more often. It brightens the room." Gabriel cleared his throat and stood. "I'd better get going. Morning comes early."

"It sure does." She paused. "I'm curious how Frost knew I bought the house."

Gabriel shrugged his shoulders. "Good question. Even for a small town that news got out fast."

Katherine followed him to the door. "Very true. I'd think they'd have other things to talk about." She opened the door. "Thank you for being concerned."

After Gabriel and Reggie left, Katherine leaned against the door. Does he really think I'm beautiful? Of course not, I'm a mother of four children. He's being kind. Don't let that fool you, he's ultimately a jock and always will be. He's arrogant and his wants will always come before all else.

Jordan came partly down the stairs. "Mom, is everything all right?"

"Yes. Let's get some sleep. Four-thirty's early."


TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 5 part 1

About four-forty A.M. Katherine and Daisy went outside. Katherine began her stretching routine. She paused when she noticed a dark figure jogging toward her. She smiled when she noticed the large dog alongside. "Must be Coach."

As the man got closer, she said, "You don't need to jog with me every morning." She pointed to her dog. "I have Daisy. The only person who bothers me is Rodney Frost, and he should still be at the police station."

"True, but yesterday I told you it wasn't safe for you to jog by yourself in the dark." He chuckled. "I figured you wouldn't pay attention, so here I am. I jog this way anyway." He glanced over his shoulder. "I park my truck at the school. It's only a few blocks back."

She set her watch. "I need to be back here at five-forty. I turn around at the half way point, timewise. Jordan can't be late to practice."

"The best football teams are the best disciplined."

She started jogging. "So I've heard. Come on, Daisy."

Gabriel followed her lead. "Last night when I got home, I spoke with Paul. When you get to school, check with him."

Katherine stopped in tracks and started to say something.

"I pushed my way in again, didn't I?" interrupted Gabriel. "Let's get going." They jogged a few steps. "Just trying to help."

"You honestly believe that, don't you?"

"Hmm."

They continued in silence, until Katherine's watch sounded. She turned. "It's time to turn around."

As they arrived at Katherine's house, she headed toward the front steps. "Two large black coffees, correct?"

"Yes." He rubbed his stomach. "And maybe something to eat."

"Like what?"

"Surprise me. I like everything."

Of course, you do. I'll ask when I get to the coffee shop what you usually order.

*****
After getting the boys where they belonged and arriving at school, Katherine went straight to the office and asked, "May I please speak with Mr. Edwards?"

Paul stepped from his office. "Mrs. Riley, I thought I heard your voice. Please come in and have a seat." After she entered, he closed the door. "I heard you had a visitor last night." He grinned as she juggled the three coffees and the small bag. "Gabe again?"

"Of course, the same person you heard about last night's incident from."

After calling his secretary, he said, "Please tell Coach Hudson to come to my office."

They both heard the intercom.

Within minutes, there was a knock and then the door opened. He saw the coffees and the bag. "I was hoping it was my coffee. What surprise did you get?" Before Katherine could answer, he examined the sack's contents and grinned. "A jalapeno kolache, cherry Danish, and a Southern brunch pastry puff." His eyes met hers. "I..."

"I couldn't make up my mind and you gave me no hints," interrupted Katherine before he continued. "I figured with the workout you needed some protein."

"Sounds like a typical mom. Great choices. Thank you." Gabriel glanced at Paul. "Have you decided what you're going to do about Frost?"

Paul motioned Gabriel to have a seat. "We were just getting started. Any ideas?"

"Only what we discussed last night. I feel he's a threat to Mrs. Riley and needs to be stopped."

"May I say something?" asked Katherine.

"Of course, this is about what's best for you," said Paul.

"I want an order of protection. I don't want him around my boys." She paused. "Jordan's old enough he's asking questions. I don't want him to worry." Releasing a deep breath, she continued, "You have the final decision about him coming back here. May I request if Jordan's in one of his classes, that he be transferred to another teacher; even if it means taking a different math course?"

Pouring himself a cup of coffee, Paul eyed Katherine. "I shouldn't say this, but I will. Frost's no longer part of our staff. I was close to removing him after yesterday's outburst, but then when I heard about last night, it sealed the deal. That's why I want to go to the police station. I want to make sure everything's spelled out."

"Thank you." She glanced at Gabriel. "You two had this all worked out last night, and didn't need me for anything, right?"

Gabriel's eyes met Paul's. "Mrs. Riley feels I force my way into situations and do things without consulting her."

Paul stirred his coffee. "Gabe, that's part of your charm. You see something that needs to be done and do it, without hesitation."

Katherine smiled. "That's one way to put it."

"Okay, now that's settled." Paul glanced over his schedule. "Mrs. Riley, how does ten o'clock this morning look?"

"I have a meeting at nine. It should only take an hour. It should be fine."

"Great. Come to my office when you're finished." He picked up his phone and listened. He covered the receiver. "Sorry, I need to take this."

Both Gabriel and Katherine stood. He opened the door and followed her out. "Can I ask a question?"

"Always."

"Do you really believe I'm arrogant?" When she didn't answer, he continued, "I see that's an area I need improvement."

After they left the office, Gabriel walked toward the locker room area. Katherine stood and watched. I think I hurt his feelings. Why does that surprise me? Because arrogant jocks don't have feelings. Could there be more to him?




PLEASE HAVE A SAFE AND WONDERFUL THANKSGIVING!!! IT IS MY PRAYER THAT YOU AND YOUR FAMILY ARE BLESSED!!!!





CHARACTERS:

Katherine Riley: age 33 - widowed: husband died 6 months ago. She moved to Texas from NYC with her four sons.

Daisy: Katherine's yellow Labrador

Gabriel Hudson: more information later, owner of a very large English Mastiff

Reggie: a very large English Mastiff

Jeremy: Katherine's six year old son. He's in first grade.

Jordan: Katherine's fifteen year old son. He's a sophomore.

Joshua Katherine's thirteen year old son. He's in 8th grade

Joel Katherine's eleven year old son. He's in 6th grade.

Paul Edwards: High School principal and Gabriel's friend.

Rodney Frost: Math department head, at least for now.

Angie Brooks Math teacher and Katherine's friend.

Frank Collins Math teacher.

Rebecca and Harold Hudson Gabriel's parents

Sarah and Bob Beck Katherine's parents, Bob is deceased

Frank Collins math teacher

Alan Green an Assistant Principal



Recognized


Thank you google images for a photo of 3 coffee cups. I also want to thank everybody for the wonderful reviews. This novel is not actually about football, but is part of the background. High School football is a national past-time in Texas. Raising four sons myself, I know my rear-end graced many bleachers under the Friday night stadium lights. This post is a little over 900 words.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.