Writing Fiction posted November 19, 2020


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
I was found bleeding and saved by Indians.

Indian Rescue

by HarryT


November's Beaver moon hung low in the night sky. Our family lives in a cabin in the Wisconsin not far from the headwaters of the Chippewa River. We settled in the area in 1841. We found Northern Wisconsin to be much like our homeland near the Black Forest with rolling hills covered by forests punctuated by scores of small lakes. I just turned 14 years old, Dad said, “You will be on your own tonight with the traps, my leg isn’t healed enough to help. Can you handle it?”

“Sure can, you’ll see,” I boldly responded.

I lugged four iron traps to the river and began setting one of the traps under the water. I anchored the short chain to a stake and use oil from dead beavers to bait the trap. As I was about to set the trigger, the mechanism sprung, the jaws cut deep into my arm. I pulled; blood gushed. I became faint and then all went black.

I awoke in a birch bark wigwam; a Menominee Indian mother and her daughter tended my arm, swabbing it with a sandy colored paste. I later learned the paste was made from sunflower seeds. When my arm was healed, the girl took me to a forest trail, she held up two fingers, the sign for peace, I did the same. I have recorded this event in the family bible so that those who come after will have reason to thank the Menominee Indians for saving their ancestor.
 



Short Story writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Short Story (Beg/Mid/end) (Create your own title) (250 words max)
beginning with the sentence::

November's Beaver moon hung low in the night sky.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. HarryT All rights reserved.
HarryT has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.