Western Fiction posted November 19, 2020


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
It's nice to be your own boss

Beaver Moon Equals Freedom

by Earl Corp


November’s Beaver Moon hung low in the night sky. Leading my pack animals into the valley which would be my home for the next nine months I stopped to take in the scenery. It was a safe bet I was the first white man to set foot in this Montana Valley. It was perfect for a winter camp.

Trees grew up to the water’s edge, building a cabin when I wasn’t running my trap line wouldn’t prove to be difficult. There was plenty water and game.

Stripping the pack saddles of the horse and the mule, then hobbling them in a patch of grass which somehow escaped the snowstorm the day before.

Checking the priming of my Hawken rifle and two pistols before rolling into my blanket. Satisfied, I quickly fell asleep.

It was turning gray when I arose. I checked to make sure my animals were still there, they were. I took my coffee pot down to the river to get my breakfast juice going.

Looking up and down river. It was dotted with beaver lodges. This would be a good season.

With coffee on to boil, I planned out my next move. It struck me I wasn’t on no time table or clock, I’m master of my own destiny. Experiencing that feeling all mountain men felt, true freedom, was exhilarating.

It was good to be a mountain man and seeing this country before throngs of settlers come west.

To me, November's Beaver Moon equaled freedom.

 



Short Story writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Short Story (Beg/Mid/end) (Create your own title) (250 words max)
beginning with the sentence::

November's Beaver moon hung low in the night sky.


Recognized


I had to try it. The 250 word restriction is a killer.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Earl Corp All rights reserved.
Earl Corp has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.