Mystery and Crime Fiction posted November 12, 2020


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A girl defends herself from an intruder.

Echo in the Hallway

by HarryT


The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.

The door slammed, echoing down the long hall. Janet slammed the door on a delivery man dressed in brown who said he had a package from Jack De Luca. Jack was her ex-fiance with whom she had broken up when she found out he was a made-man in the New York mob.
 
She called from behind the door, “Please, just leave it by the door.”

The man said, “No miss, I can’t. I'll get in trouble, I need a signature.”

Janet slowly cracked open the door. The delivery man slipped his foot between the door and the jam. Janet tried to slam the door, but it bounced off his shoe. Janet ground her three-inch heel into the toe of the man’s shoe. He snapped his foot back and Janet was able to slam the door and turn the lock. Fear-filled tears spilled from her eyes as she leaned up against the door. She looked through the peephole, he was still there, called, “Please, please go, I’m calling the police.”

The man yelled, “Open the door, bitch,” then smashed his shoulder against the door, but it didn’t give. He cursed her, then lifted his foot and kicked the door three times. The deadbolt lock gave way on the third kick, the door frame shattered, and the door swung open. The intruder rushed through the door and grabbed the cellphone from Janet’s hand and threw it against the wall.

Janet saw evil burning in his bulging black eyes. She ran through her apartment knocking over a lamp sending it crashing to the floor. She tried to lock herself in the bathroom. However, the invader would not be denied. He broke through the door, seized her by the hair, dragged her into the bedroom and threw her on the bed. He stood like a menacing giant before her as he slowly unbuckled his belt and dropped his pants. The intruder said, “I’m here on behalf of my boss, Jack. You broke his heart last week. He wants me to give you a message. Let me see if I can remember his words. Oh yeah, ‘The bitch dumped me and gave me back my engagement ring. Get rid of her, no broad is going to kick me to the curb. If I can’t have her, no one will.’”

The invader continued, “Sorry, my dear, I’m only following the boss’s order. I have to do what I have to do.”

Janet said, “please no don’t, please, I’ll do anything.”

“Hey, girly, you got no choice. I'll have you and then I'll do you. See, then I’m in good with the boss for following orders."

The intruder tried to step out of his pants that had fallen around his ankles, but his foot caught, he wobble and fell to the floor. Janet quickly rolled off the bed, open her nightstand drawer, and drew out a nine-millimeter pistol that Jack had given her. The intruder laughed and crawled toward her. Janet screamed and pulled the trigger. The intruder spun, clutching his neck, and dropped to the floor. His blood spewed like a water from a ruptured pipe. She watched his dark red blood soak into the white bedroom carpet, then drop the gun and cried.

When Janet regained her composure, she called the police. When they arrived, she told them the story of her break-up, and that Jack, her former fiancé, had ordered her murder. The next morning Jack was arrested on a charge of conspiracy to commit murder. After the trial, Janet moved back home to Illinois, hoping to start a new life. She did well at first. She became a nurse and worked on the pediatric floor of a Chicago hospital. She had a boyfriend who loved her. After a year, they moved in together. She felt fulfilled and free, life was good again.

Unfortunately, a year later, her body was discovered in a shallow grave a little way off a trial in the McMurry Forest Preserve. A diamond engagement ring was found in her mouth.

 



The Door Slammed writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a story that starts with this sentence: The door slammed, echoing down the long hall.

Don't add to the sentence. The catch is this must be flash fiction. So the story should be between 100 and 1,000 words.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. HarryT All rights reserved.
HarryT has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.