Commentary and Philosophy Non-Fiction posted October 25, 2020


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A Tribute to Aunts

About Aunts or Aunties

by Mary Vigasin


If mothers are the foundation of a family, often aunts are the footings that help support the foundation.

When my mother died, my aunt took two heartbroken little girls and gave them Sunday trips to museums, churches, and other adventures.

My aunt was rescued from an orphanage by her own aunt even though her aunt was a widow with six children, and it was The Great Depression.

An aunt raised my father-in-law.

Aunts have been in the background when moms needed advice, emotional or financial support or just a shoulder to cry on. An Aunt can be the best friend to their nieces and nephews or simply a friend to mom as she shops in the mall.

A new toy, dress or shirt may have been sealed by the kiss of an aunt or auntie.

There are times when aunts must be the foundation themselves when moms are incapable of bearing the burden.

Just as not all moms are perfect, aunts are not perfect. They could be an aunt in name only.

However, those who have had, or their mothers have received support in some form from their aunts or aunties, may not have thought about or even known about how much influence their aunts had in their upbringing.

While she may have been in the background, some aunts have kept the foundation strong.



Story of the Month contest entry

Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mary Vigasin All rights reserved.
Mary Vigasin has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.