General Non-Fiction posted October 22, 2020


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Two Kids and a clubhouse

The Chicken Roost

by Mary Vigasin


My cousin Louie was eight, and I was ten when we cleaned an old chicken coop to make it a clubhouse.

We scraped all the chicken poop from the floors and walls.

After several coats of white paint on the dry wood, our clubhouse was ready for occupancy.

We christened our clubhouse with a can of soda and named it The Chicken Roost.

Louie went to get blankets and a lantern for our first night in our clubhouse. His mom asked him what he was doing.

"Me and Mary are going to sleep in the clubhouse tonight"
"Oh no you don't. Boys and girls do not sleep together."
"Why not? Louie asked "You and Dad sleep together!"

We never stepped into our clubhouse again. His Dad boarded up the door.




I spent a few weeks each year on my aunt and uncle's farm.
Louie and I became quite close and spent our off time planning our clubhouse.
Now years later, I think about staying in that musty old building, I do not think we would have lasted long particularly in the summer heat.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mary Vigasin All rights reserved.
Mary Vigasin has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.