General Fiction posted October 24, 2020 Chapters:  ...32 33 -34- 35... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
North of South Dakota

A chapter in the book Attack of the Fifty States

Attackofthe50States:North Dakota

by Bill Schott


I just finished North Carolina and was on my way to under-explain South Carolina when I remembered that I was proceeding alphabetically. So, now I will tell you everything you need to know from my point of view about NORTH DAKOTA.

The capital is Bismarck, and its largest city is Fargo.

Fargo means two things to me. First was the flood back in 1997. The Marine Corps Reserve in Iowa sent troops to help deliver aid to those North Dakotans affected. We loaded trucks, unloaded trucks and delivered stuff.

The movie Fargo was a classic made by the Coen Brothers and supposedly based on the true story.

North Dakota has the the second lowest unemployment rate in the nation (after Hawaii).

North Dakota contains the tallest man-made structure in the Western Hemisphere, the KVLY-TV mast. It is 2063 feet tall. The only structure taller is in Dubai.

The Great plains covers all of North Dakota which was once peopled by the Dakota or Lakota tribes, otherwise known as the Great Sioux Nation, who were eventually assigned to reservations in the Fort Laramie Treaty of 1868.

In one of the oldest, unresolved cases in U.S. legal history, United States v. Sioux Nation the Supreme Court ruled that the United States was wrong in breaking the terms of that treaty. It seems all white settlements were banned there, but when gold was discovered in 1874, there was a gold rush. The government reassigned the Lakota, against their wishes, to other reservations in western South Dakota, breaking up the Great Sioux Reservation into smaller portions.

The Supreme Court awarded eight Sioux tribes $106 million in compensation. The Sioux Nation has refused to accept the award, saying they want their land returned. The money is still held in accounts at the Treasury Department, accruing interest. It's valued at over $1 billion.

Lots of gas, oil, and mining going on in North Dakota, along with the largest wheat fields in North America. This state and Kansas are considered the Breadbasket of the free world.

Once again, leaving trillions of pieces of data unreported, I am leaving this place for Ohio.







 



Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Bill Schott All rights reserved.
Bill Schott has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.