General Fiction posted May 15, 2024


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
My entry for the Storm Approaches contest

Storm Warning

by hullabaloo22


Well, folks, it looks like it’s time to batten down the hatches yet again, as the Meteorological Department have just issued an ‘urgent and severe’ storm warning.”

Josh rolled his eyes. I couldn’t blame him, to be honest. I’d lost count of the amount of warnings they’d issued this year that actually amounted to no more than a bit of wind and heavy rain. Even the guy on the radio didn’t sound convinced, but then I suppose plenty of people had blamed him when the warnings he’d passed on came to nothing.

I’m going out,” Josh said. He was all down in the mouth because of this being the weekend. If that warning had been put out on a school day, he’d have got the day off to do what he liked.

Just, you know, don’t go too far,” I told him.

Oh, Mom! What am I gonna do around here? You know it won’t come to anything.”

You could well be right, but just humor me.” I looked at his face and kind of relented. “You can go as far as Phil’s place...”

Yes!” Josh raised a hand in victory.

But no further,” I insisted. “I want you to promise that you’ll stay by his house until you come back here.”

Sure, I felt mean. And no doubt I was overreacting. Now it’s just the two of us, I find it a struggle not to be overprotective. We’ve learned the hard way that life can turn bad in just a split second.

The warning was repeated several times over the next hour. I kept on glancing out the windows, looking for the mass of black clouds that would become visible just in time for me to lock everything down. That’s the good part about living somewhere so flat. The bad part is that when a storm does hit, we feel it’s full power for there’s simply nothing out there to deflect it.

Folks, I’ve got to tell you, this storm... it’s looking like a real humdinger. It’s already left a trail of destruction, so best lock up, sit tight and ride it out.” The radio announcer seemed to have switched from being a bored sceptic, to actually believing the warning this time.

And yep, there was no doubting the storm clouds now on the horizon. Even as I stood gazing out at them the wind started blowing around the yard and rattling the outhouse roof. I’d just go out and secure it with a rope attached to a tire; primitive, but it works, or always has done before.

Those clouds are coming up real fast now. I can just make out the flashes of lightning in the distance. Bess and Catkins come racing in from wherever they’ve been sleeping. Cats hate storms, or so I’ve read, and the way they hurtle up the stairs makes me mighty uneasy.

Josh! Where’s he got to? He should have noticed, should be back by now. Better safe than sorry. I pick up the phone and dial Sue, Phil’s mother.

Hi, Sue. Yeah, it’s not looking too good. Can Josh stay over until this storm’s blown over.” I frown at her reply. “So is Phil there? And neither of you have seen Josh today?” Oh, this is not good. Not good at all.

After saying a hasty goodbye, I dash around the house securing all the windows, bolting the door out back. But what if Josh hasn’t got his key? I pull back the bolt; I’m just going to have to trust that it’ll hold up without it.

At least the car’s got gas. It’s a battle through the wind and rain to get to it, and I’m drenched when I climb into the front seat. Where do I go from here? I never watched which direction Josh went in, trusting that he’d be calling on Phil. And that’s what I’d have to do; follow that trust and head in that direction.

I’m cutting across in front of the storm now and it’s driving rivers of rain across the windscreen. The wipers can’t cope and visibility is so bad I can do no more than crawl along. The wind howls as it tries to push against the car. This is hopeless. I’m never gonna be able to spot Josh like this.

Coming to a quick decision, I pull over to the side of the road and climb out. The wind almost knocks me from my feet, and honestly, I can’t really see much more now the rain is that heavy.

Bending as low to the ground as I can while still being able to run, I start moving. “Josh! Josh! Can you hear me?” The wind snatches my voice away. Hopeless. Pointless. But I can’t give up. Josh is out here somewhere and it’s down to me to find him.

And then I do! I spot his tee first, thank goodness he picked the yellow one. He’s laying on the ground and hasn't seen me yet. “Josh, hold on! I’m coming for you!”

The thunder is so loud it makes the ground beneath my feet vibrate, and the lightning sizzles through the rain. I won’t stop, can’t stop until I’m beside him.

Mom?”

Yeah, Josh. It’s okay. We’ll be okay.” I want to cry with relief but there’s no time. “Are you hurt?”

My ankle,” Josh says. “I tripped, and now I can’t stand up. What are we gonna do, Mom?”

Josh, he’s too big for me to carry now. There’s only one thing we can do and that’s to stay put. If I laid down beside him, we’d be wet, yes, but the lightning would most likely miss us. “We’ll stay here until the storm’s gone, then I’ll head back for the car.”

And that’s what we did. Shivering from a mix of cold and fear we were spared the full force of the wind, as the rain weighed us down to the ground. It seemed to go on forever, but eventually, as all storms do, it moved on.

I was just getting up to my feet when I spotted approaching headlights. Couldn’t make out the car, but I didn’t care, just stood and waved and hollered my heart out.

Sue and Phil jumped out of the car and between us we got Josh up, sat him in the back seat.

We’re heading off to get Josh’s ankle looked at in town, and once he’s safe and sorted, he’ll go back and stay the night at Phil’s. I’ll pick up the car and head back home, ready to assess the damage this storm has inflicted.




Storm Approaches writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a short story where a storm is approaching. Minimum length 700 words. Maximum Length 4,000 words.


A short story of 1103 words.

Picture: Jonathan Bowers on Unsplash.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. hullabaloo22 All rights reserved.
hullabaloo22 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.