General Fiction posted May 1, 2024


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A Club Post

Cooper Takes a Trip

by jmdg1954



 
 
 
 

Cooper is an eleven year-old golden retriever loved by all the humans in our family. Though he has a bit of arthritis in his left hind leg, it never stops him from getting up and following whatever human he’s laying beside whenever they go from room to room. A true, fifty pound ball of loving fur and faithful companion. 

Cooper loves the outdoors regardless of the weather. Cold, sun or wind, he is happiest walking the yard, sniffing here and there. He can always be found lying on the green grass under the shade of the tree, watching and listening to his surroundings.  

There are two things that frighten the bejeezus out of Cooper; the outbreak of firecrackers on the Fourth of July and the sound of thunder, anytime of year. 

Well, there was a sudden thunderstorm which rolled through the other afternoon. The weather was unseasonably warm for a spring day when a late day cold front approached creating havoc in the skies. Cooper was outdoors at the time the thunder started clapping and sounding its roar. Frightened, he ran all around the yard, barking and howling, looking for safety.

Eventually he found it and the thunder soon passed by. Comfortable in his surroundings, Cooper fell into a deep sleep, dreaming to:

Ricky Nelson’s 1961 recording of - 

       TRAVELIN’  MAN

I've a travelin' dog whose left a lot of scents 

In each harbor wharf, 

And in every port I sniffed the butt

Of at least one lovely mutt.

I've a Mexican Chihuahua waiting for me 

Down in Old Mazatlan,

If you're ever in Alaska stop and see 

A Husky named Papillon.

Oh, my sweet Aussie down in Albury

Makes my heart want to howl,

And my Shikoku running through Gifu

Makes me want to growl.

Mia bella Josephina, shepherding 

in the Pyrenees, 

Like Lady and the Tramp we shared a plate 

Of homemade spa-ghe-etti.

Oh, I'm a travelin' dog

Yes, I'm a travelin' dog

Yes, I'm a travelin' dog

Whoa, I'm a travelin' dog…

“Cooper, come on boy, wake up. Thunder’s over,” I said when I found him in the shed. 

He looked up at me and rolled onto his back. Can dogs smile? I think Cooper was…




Recognized

#6
May
2024


The photo is of Snow, our 11 year old female golden retriever.

She is terrified of firecrackers and thunder and absolutely loves the outdoors.


Club entry for the "Lost and Found after a Long Time" event in "Flash Fiction/Nonfiction".  Locate a writing club.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. jmdg1954 All rights reserved.
jmdg1954 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.