Fantasy Fiction posted March 30, 2015 Chapters:  ...41 42 -43- 44... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Shades assembles a team

A chapter in the book Finding Daisy

Lock and Load

by snodlander



Background
Ess has been commissioned to find Daisy, a model. Suspicion has fallen on an MP, Davenport and his aide, Whitmarsh. With time running out, they assemble a team to track them
By the time darkness fell they were all gathered in Ess' flat. They made a motley crew. Ted and Shades could have been brothers, discussing tactics in low voices, using innocent phrases in odd contexts that made no sense to Ess. Their body language conveyed a quiet confidence born of long practice. Had they been comrades before they'd entered private service, she wondered. Oz had introduced his friend as Dot, a middle-aged woman of generous proportions who seemed equally keen to flirt with Ted and Shades as she did with Oz. She slapped Oz at every double entendre he made, but sniggered at the same time. They were cut from the same cloth, obviously.

The only sister Ess had been able to find was Angie from the shop. She wondered how many salves and ointments this was going to cost her. Not that Angie had explicitly said as much, her help was one sister to another, gratis and freely given, of course. Nevertheless, under the chit-chat they both knew that while Angie would not be so crass as to ask for stock outright, Ess would have no choice to donate her potions as a freewill offering.

"Okay, listen in," said Shades, clapping his hands and standing to face the assembly. "We are not cops, we are not soldiers and we're not bloody superheroes, so whatever goes down tonight, you keep this foremost in your mind: Watch your backs. If there's trouble, you stand down. If you're recognised, you stand down. If the police get involved, you do whatever they say, then stand down. No one gets hurt tonight, understand? You've got no expertise, no experience and no chance if things go pear-shaped, so you protect number one. This is not a game. Do I make myself clear?" He stared at each one. "Do I make myself clear?"

There was a murmur of assent.

"Good. Now Ted and I have done this sort of thing before, so rule number two is you do exactly what we say, when we say. I don't want any backchat or arguments." He stared pointedly at Oz, who to Ess' surprise merely nodded.

"Okay, so we're splitting into three groups, two to a car. Logistically it makes more sense to go boy, girl. It's not chivalry for the feminists in the room, it's operational. A couple look less conspicuous. Oz, if I team you up with Dot are you going to take this seriously? No drinking and no messing about?"

Dot giggled. Oz nodded. "Of course, dear boy."

Shades didn't look sure, but nodded anyway. "Then, Angie is it? Angie, you'll go with Ted in his car and Ess and I will take the other. Oz, you and Dot are going to get eyes on Davenport's house. Park up somewhere where you can see the front drive, but not obvious. Keeps obs until Davenport returns. Ted will relieve you and then you go home and get some shut eye. You'll relieve someone in the morning. Dot, what sort of motor have you got?"

"An estate." She giggled again. "Plenty of room in the back."

"Good. That'll be less conspicuous than Oz's heap. Oz, I'll take your car."

"A stake out? Really? Can't I be in on the action?" Oz reluctantly held out his keys.

"No you bloody can't, and what did I say about backchat? Following a car unnoticed is difficult at the best of times. Ted and I need to be doing that.

You two." He turned to Ess and Angie. "You're going to be in the cars with us. We're going to pick up Davenport and Whitmarsh when they leave this thing and follow them. When they split I'll take Whitmarsh, Ted will take Davenport. Angie, that's going to mean a night in a car. You up for that?"

Angie nodded, her mouth a thin line.

"Ess, we'll follow Whitmarsh to his drum and keep obs there. Any questions?"

"Is your friend as full of himself as you?" asked Angie.

Ted grinned. "I'm totally full of myself, Darling, but then, I know what I'm doing."

Ess saw Angie tense and grabbed her hand as surreptitiously as she could. She squeezed gently.

"Ted," said Shades, "Don't wind her up. Angie, do we have a problem?"

Angie smiled sweetly. "No, I'm sure we'll get on like a house on fire. And he knows I'm a witch, right? It's in his best interests to get on with me."

"Then let's do this. And remember. Watch your backs."

Shades turned to Ted and whispered to him, his finger jabbing into Ted's chest as he spoke. Ess didn't think Ted would wind Angie up anymore. Even so, she leant close to Angie.

"Thanks, sister. This means a lot, not just to me."

Angie nodded, and Ess saw the price of Angie's cooperation rise by a dozen jars. They filed out of the flat in silence, six mismatched individuals, the banter and chit-chat of an hour ago gone.




Don't start, I've been ill!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. snodlander All rights reserved.
snodlander has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.