Commentary and Philosophy Science Fiction posted October 24, 2014 Chapters: 2 3 -3- 4... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Suffering

A chapter in the book The Virus

Day Two

by Cogitator

Day Two

Sleep was impossible the first day. After the reality of blindness sank into the minds of the newly sightless, a realignment of values occurred. Everyday activities taken for granted became hugely important to consider. Eating, drinking and purging were now monumental undertakings. Those fortunate enough to be in familiar surroundings were able to grope their way from memory. Those stranded on the highways were in for a more gruesome experience.

The virus had a five-day incubation period so the population was not blinded in the same moment. Australian scientists had some time to isolate the virus before going blind. Some remote areas in the Pacific Ocean, the polar ice caps and the Amazonian forest were spared, as well. Hardest hit were the densely populated areas.

The virus could only be seen by the most powerful electron microscopes. It traveled in the air and infected any person who breathed. It would enter the lungs and use the blood stream to eventually lodge a colony in the part of the brain controlling sight. It was not known yet if it would run its course or cause permanent damage.

Survival became uppermost in people's minds, followed by the suicide of many. Those who had been programmed to slavishly depend on the ruling class were the most despondent and the quickest to turn to suicide as the solution to their dilemma. It became very apparent that the economic structure built upon greed and power would no longer exist. There would be no money in the future -- if there was to be a future for humanity.

The generator started.

"Family, the power grid just went down. That's going to cause some issues. I hope nobody is caught in an elevator. We'll run the generator for a while and turn it off every hour for a couple of hours. We have to conserve fuel. At least it's springtime. If it was January, I don't know how many people would freeze to death."

"Betty, do you think you can gather some fruit for us from your green house?"

"Of course, I can. I know where everything is located. John, Mike, let's hold hands and go. There is some rope near the entrance that can tether us, as well as some bags I use to harvest. As I walk through the paths, I'll let you know where you can feel the fruit. It may take a while, but we can gather a good supply that way. There's also some radishes and tomatoes that are ripe enough. We'll gather some after we pass through the fruit trees."

The deaths mounted.

The world no longer existed for the survivors -- not as they knew it. Without sight, only the imagination was operating. People were forced to think about how they possibly could survive without public services, without an economic system, without electricity, without transportation, etc. Virtually all survivors set about reviewing their lives in silence. They knew that this experience, if they lived through it, would change a lot of things on the planet.

The Middle East conflicts could not continue. Weapons were useless. The thought of launching the nuclear arsenal crossed the minds of the superpowers, but they thought better of it. The ruling class no longer had any power. The stranglehold of politics and religion on impressionable minds would have to be released. Assault rifles have about as much metal as a sword and their future, if any, was to become plowshares. One benefit of being blind is the inability to see country borders.

Carnivorous predators in the wild sensed the hopelessness and helplessness of humans. They would soon feast like never before. In the cities, rats began staying out of the sewers during daylight, rather than wait until nightfall. In New York, Wall Street honchos who dived out of windows when they realized their lives had been wasted provided nourishment for the army of rats.

By the end of the second day, more gruesome events. The most excruciating pain felt and the highest rate of murder/suicide occurred in families with small children. Mothers were torn apart by the screams of pain and discomfort from their children. Fathers could not provide solace. Decisions were made to end the pain of the entire family. For millions, it seemed to be the right thing to do.

If someone was not in a group with familiar surroundings, hopes for survival were slim to none. All over the world, small groups huddled together awaiting their fate. Sanitation was becoming a problem. No daily bath or shower, limited access to toilets and grooming without sight was impossible. People began to grope their way outside to relieve themselves, rather than use indoor facilities. Flies were having a field day, as well as cockroaches and other insects.

Sleep was still difficult except for brief nodding off. Waking up to the same nightmare was cruel. It would continue.





This is a rewrite
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Cogitator All rights reserved.
Cogitator has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.