General Non-Fiction posted April 21, 2017 Chapters:  ...24 24 -24- 25... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Harry is told he commtted a crime.

A chapter in the book Of Saints and Wooden Nickels

Of Saints and...Nickels Ch 24 Part 5

by HarryT



Background
Desperate to learn why his father responded with anger to questions about his grandparents Harry embarks on an odyssey that takes him to Italy where he encounters barriers and unanticipated hardships.
Harry sat upright on a chair and proceeded to tell Captain Dewhurst how he and Sam went to New York, secured false baptismal certificates at a Catholic Church, and then used them to obtain passports under assumed names.

The captain folded his arms, sat back in his chair and listened intently as Harry unraveled his story. When he finished, Captain Dewhurst leaned forward and said, "Boy, you have a big problem. You broke the law by lying under oath when you obtained your passport. I have to take this to Counsel Travers. You're in this country illegally, which means you're in violation of both United States law and Italian law."

"What should I do, sir?"

"I don't know. As I said, I'll take this matter up with the Mr. Travers. You come back tomorrow morning. "

The captain pushed a yellow legal pad and pen toward Harry. "Write down your correct name and the false name you used on the passport. In addition, tell us how and where you obtained the passport and the name of the church in New York where you got the baptismal certificate. Are you from New York?"

"Chicago, sir."

"Chicago, the gangster city, huh? I should have guessed. Does everyone there think they're better than the law?"

"No...no, sir, I made a mistake. I'm sorry, I really am. Please, can you help me?"

"I don't know. Come back tomorrow morning...Oh, wait. Write down your address in Chicago too."

"Yes, sir. Thank you, sir, I'll be here. Don't worry."

Harry took the yellow pad and began to write. He stopped and looked up.

"Captain, I don't spell so good."

"Do the best you can."

Harry finished writing the information the captain requested, placed the pad on the captain's desk, and turned to leave.

"Wait," Captain Dewhurst said. "I'll write you a temporary pass, so you don't get arrested."

He wrote out a pass and handed it to Harry.

"Thank you, sir."

The Sergeant Major guarding the door smiled as Harry pushed through the door and said, "Good morning, sir. You, have a good day."

"Thank you, sir. I'll try."

Harry blinked and shaded his eyes against the bright sunlight. He ambled down the cobblestone pathway to the gate. Looking back over his shoulder, he saw the American flag flying high atop the Consulate roof, saluted, and then prayed, "Please, St. Jude, help the Captain get me home."




Part 5 ends this chapter. In Chapter 25 Harry makes a friend who brings him to his home.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. HarryT All rights reserved.
HarryT has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.