Family Non-Fiction posted April 20, 2017 Chapters:  ...24 24 -24- 24... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Harry enters the American Consulate and asks for help

A chapter in the book Of Saints and Wooden Nickels

Of Saints and...Nickels Ch 24 Part 4

by HarryT



Background
Desperate to learn his fatherâ??s secret Harry embarks on an Italian odyssey during which he experiences unanticipated barriers and hardships.
A car whizzed past, horn blasting, shaking Harry from his thoughts. To his surprise, the Consulate Ugo had described loomed in the distance. Sunlight gleamed off the bright, white building. The structure reminded Harry of the fancy three story mansions along Prairie Avenue. Gazing up, Harry observed the American flag fluttering on the Consulate rooftop. His eyes roamed a ten foot high iron fence that encompassed the entire property. Huge double iron gates stood open. Atop the gate frame shined a golden American eagle; smartly uniformed Marines stood at attention. Harry's heart thumped against his chest. Looking through the gateway, he noted a third Marine standing guard at the building entrance. Emblazoned on each polished brass door was the regal seal of the United States. Harry made the sign of the cross and hurried toward the open gates.

A Marine guard raised his hand and said, "State your business, sir."

A cold shudder shot down Harry's spine, his face turned ashen, his knees buckled. The Marine caught Harry's arm.

"Steady, son. There's nothing to be afraid of. Tell me what you want."

"I'm an American," his words poured out in staccato fashion, "but I... I, I...my passport, I...I..."

"Okay, slow down and take it easy," the Marine said.

Harry took a breath and swallowed hard. "I need to talk to somebody. I, I need to get home."
His knees caved.

The guard steadied him. "Are you all right?"

"Yes, yes, I think so." Harry said locking his knees.

The Marine made sure Harry was stable. "Okay, wait here," he said.

He motioned to his companion to watch Harry. The second guard walked from his position and stood next to Harry as other guard walked to a guardhouse beside the gate.

"Don't go passing out on us," the guard said.

"No, no, I won't."

Harry watched the first Marine pick up a telephone. Sweat beads burst out on Harry's upper lip, his face flushed and his neck grew warm. The Marine on the phone nodded toward Harry and hung up the phone. Harry tried to read the guard's face, but he couldn't decipher it. Then Harry saw the Marine give a thumbs up sign.

The guarding Marine reached over and straighten Harry's jacket. "Alright," he said, "You can go in. The captain at the front desk will talk with you."

"Thank you, sir. Thank you." Harry bowed to the two guards.

They smiled and said in unison, "Have a good day."

Harry walked toward the polished entry doors. A huge man with a ruddy complexion, dressed in a dark blue Marine uniform with red piping and gold sergeant major stripes on his sleeve tipped his cap and said, "Good morning, sir," as he opened one of the doors.

Goose bumps stippled Harry's skin when he entered the marble-floored lobby. On the ceiling was a heavenly scene of majestic clouds and blue skies. Golden pillars lined both sides of the imposing room. Harry wondered if he had entered a throne room. His clicking footsteps echoed as he walked toward a distant desk. Crossed American flags and portraits of George Washington, Abraham Lincoln and Herbert Hoover hung on the wall behind the desk. The sound of his footsteps continued to echo when he stopped.

A Marine officer looked up. The nameplate on the desk read Captain Jerome Dewherst, USMC.

"You are an American citizen?" the captain asked.

"Yes, yes, sir," Harry said, bracing himself, trying to fight off the fear seeping into his being.

"Please, your passport and papers."

"Sir, captain, that's the problem, my passport and papers were stolen."

"Do you have any other proof of your citizenship, a birth certificate, a baptismal certificate, anything?"

"No, no, sir, please, everything was stolen in Reggio, Calabria.

"Did you report it to the police there?"

"No sir, I didn't. I didn't know what to do."

"What's your name?"

"Harry Trumfio, but that's not the name on my passport."

"What do you mean?"

"You see, sir, I had a different name. It's a long story."

"Sit down. It better be a good one."
***




Harry finds out he is in violation of the laws of both America and Italy.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. HarryT All rights reserved.
HarryT has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.