FanStory.com - Facing the Truthby Mistydawn
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Jackie faces demons from her past. The killer flees justice.
Town Slayer
: Facing the Truth by Mistydawn

Summary
Janet finds her husband, Bill bleeding on their front room floor. With the evidence piling against her; she was holding a bloody bat and was covered in blood when the EMT's arrive, the cops accused her of murder. Frightened she runs. She gets a ride from a truck driver named Sam, claiming her name is Jackie.

Seeing the blood on her dress, Sam holds her at gunpoint, demanding an explanation. Believing her story, Sam takes her to a truck stop so she can get cleaned up. He sees a news bulletin on the TV about her being a murder suspect. Not wanting to help a fugitive escape, Sam leaves.

Jackie formerly known as Janet finds out she's been abandoned. She then sees the bulletin on the TV. She runs to the bathroom grabbing hair dye and scissors on the way through. The now red-headed Jackie asks another trucker for a ride. She soon learns he has shady intentions. His gun goes off accidentally. Terrified, Jackie runs for her life.

Henry, an old farmer picks Jackie up and takes her to his house. Hearing about the shooting on the news, Henry and his wife decide to call the cops. Jackie overhears them talking and runs out the back door. She hotwires an abandoned pickup and flees. She loses control, the vehicle veers off the road. Ben finds her and offers to help. He takes her back to his place where they have a romantic encounter.

The assassin tied up, tortured and killed Beth's abusive husband, Steve. Willy, the motel manager tried to force himself on her. She ties him to the bed, tortures and mutilates him. She kills another in an alley. The cops see her, she flees to an old underground hideout. She manages to escape or so she thought.

_____

Jackie is scrunched up into a ball sobbing against the truck door. She relentlessly begged Ben to turn around, but he silently stares at the road ahead. She even thought about bolting from the vehicle but talked herself out of it as quick as the thought came to mind. If I jump out at this high speed, I'll probably end up hurt, maybe dead. Where would I go if I did survive? Besides, I'll have to run from Ben and the law and I'm too worn out to run anymore. I'm tired and fed up with this whole damn mess. She wearily leans against the window. What made me think I could outsmart them anyhow? Me, with my below average IQ. She was told she had a learning disability at a very young age. A fact people taunted her with her entire life. Ben is right, the best thing for me to do is go to the police; face the inevitable once and for all. It's not like my life is worth fighting for anyway.

She recalls her horrible childhood and all the drunken beatings she and her mama had to endure. How her Daddy forced her to have sex with him, while her drugged up Mother watched from afar. She then remembers how the kids made fun of her and anyone she hung out with; causing her friends to be few and far between. A lonely, isolated life for Janet.

___

"What dumpster did you find those clothes in, the goodwill reject bin?" The children laugh.

"Leave me alone." She tries to move around them. Joel pushes her against the wall.

"I've seen homeless people wear better clothes than that," he says. The group laughs again.

"Please, just let me by," she tearfully begs.

"Your daddy should spend money on you instead of his booze and whores. Speaking of whores, how's your mom these days? Is she turning enough tricks to supply her habit?"

___

She then recalls the day her parents died. She hoped things would get better, but they only became worse. She was given to a couple that runs a child prostitution ring; sold to Bill when she hit puberty.

She glances over at Ben. I wish things could've been different between us, I really do. She recalls how wonderful it was to be wrapped in his arms. I felt so warm, so secure. He showed me a side of love I never knew existed. She wipes the tears from her face as she turns towards him.

"It's ...it's been nice knowing you, Ben, even if it was just for a little while," she sniffles. "I want you to know that you're the only man who's ever treated me that way; the only one who's ever shown me a hint of compassion. You made me feel special like I truly matter; that I'm not a nothing, a nobody, like everybody claims. More importantly, you made me forget all the hateful things everyone has ever said or done to me. And for the first time in my life, I got to feel what love really is. I'll never forget that feeling as long as I live."

"Oh for Heaven's sake, stop your damn blabbering already, will you?" He pulls to the side of the road. Dust flies all around them as he slams on his brakes.

"I ...I'm sorry Ben, I didn't mean to upset you." She nervously scoots closer to the door.

"Well, you did." He turns towards her. "Look at what you did to me?" he asks as tears stream down his face. "I've been too choked up to say anything."

"Really?"

"Yeah, really and if you were paying attention, you would've seen we passed the town miles back." He wipes moisture from his face.

"So ...So where are you taking me?"

"We're going to visit a lawyer friend of mine."

"I don't have any money."

"He owes me one."

"Thank you, Ben, thank you so much." She leans over and kisses his cheek.

"Yeah, don't mention it." Ben mumbles under his breath, "Says the man who has sucker written all over his face."

***

Rachel notices their canine unit setting up when she pulls into the alley. I'm just in time. She climbs out of her car. She soon realizes the day has become unseasonably warm. I wish this weather would make up its mind. She wipes the sweat from her forehead and then pushes her sleeves to her elbows.

"Detective?"

Rachel turns to see an officer walking towards her.

"My partner and I were the ones who gave chase." He points to a man heading their way.

"When did you see her last?"

"I lost visual when she darted down this alley. At least I think she went this way. I asked a guy which way she went and he said he didn't see her. My partner didn't find her on the other side either."

"Can you give me a quick description?" She pulls a notebook out of her pocket.

"She's a short, thin Latino woman around 5'3". She has black hair, brown eyes. No visible scars or tattoos. She's wearing a plain hot pink tee, jeans, and pink sneakers.

Rachel glances up from her paper. "You're sure she's Hispanic?"

"I've been around Latino women all my life so I think I know what they look like." He points to his darker skin.

Rachel laughs. "I guess you'd know better than most. That just ruled out both suspects."

"He has her scent, Detective," another officer says. The canine barks wildly as he pulls on his leash.

Rachel walks towards him. "Let's find out where he'll take us."

The officer gives a command; his dog darts down the alley. Halfway down, he turns and runs back the way he came.

"What's he doing?" Rachel asks.

"I'm not sure, detective." His dog heads back in the other direction as soon as he reaches the tin. He stops at the same spot, sniffs and then darts towards the metal again.

"She must have had her car parked there, or she got a ride," he says as his dog pulls him to her hideout.

"I don't remember a car being there." The first officer pipes in.

"She might've left before you got here."

"That'd explain why the guy didn't see her."

Rachel glances around. "Maybe those cameras will help." She points to an old brick building.

"I'll find out, Detective," Kirk volunteers.

"Have your crew search from her hideout to where the dog stops."

"Yes, Detective."

Rachel pulls out her phone. "Joe, this is Rachel, the dog keeps running back and forth. I hope the security cam will tell us more. I have forensics processing her hideout, and the alley. Penny and Janet isn't our killer, Joe." She puts it on speaker as she climbs into her car.

"Sharon just told me, she found another set of prints on Timmy's bat. She's running them through AFIS now."

"Did she find anything else?" Rachel questions.

"She gave me a whole list of things."

"I'm on my way."

***

That was too close. The killer thinks as she speeds out of town. Maybe I should lay low for a while until things cool down. I could always start fresh somewhere else. Thanks to Willy's fine-ass ride, I can travel wherever I want. She realizes her gas gage is close to empty. I need money if I want to do this right. She remembers the stack of cash in Willy's office. I'm sure he won't mind if I borrow it. It's not like he needs it anymore. The killer chuckles. She catches a glimpse of red and blue lights in her rearview mirror. She looks up to see cops on her tail. "Just when I thought I was home free." She pushes on the accelerator. The engine whines in protest. "Alright, alright." She throws it into fourth gear.

Sirens scream behind her as she screeches around a corner. I've got to ditch these losers and fast. She fishtails around another corner. She looks back to see they're right behind her. "You're not taking me out that easy, pigs." She throws the Corvette into fifth gear and then gives it a little more gas. The cops stay right behind her. "I know how to lose you clowns." Hitting a straight stretch, she shifts into seventh gear then floors it. She looks down to see her speedometer is close to two hundred. "Keep up with that, pigs." She realizes a distance is growing between them when she glances back. "Can't handle this speed, can you?" She laughs as she catches a glimpse of a sign. I hope that wasn't important. She sees another a few feet ahead. "Bridge out ...oh, shit, no." She first notices a huge gap in the pavement, and then the river below her. "I'm going to die," she screams, as she grips the wheel for dear life.


___

Characters
Steve, Beth's abusive husband deceased.
Beth, deceased, the assassin best friend.
Janet Smith, (Jackie) accused killer.
Bill Smith, Janet/ Jackie's husband deceased
Timmy Smith, Janet/Jackie, and Bill's child
SamGanes, a truck driver for Prime gave Janet/Jackie a ride to the truck stop.
Victor Melendez, (deceased) the trucker that tried to rape Janet/Jackie.
Bobby, (Deceased) abusive man arguing with his wife.
Jen, Bobby's wife she fled after being smacked down by her husband.
Henry, Farmer
Martha, Henry's wife
Julia, Jery's wife deceased
Jimmy, Janet's first love
Willy, the motel manager

Berryville PD
Joe, Sergeant
Jerry, Detective
Rachel, Detective
Kirk, Forensic Analyst
Matt, Forensic Analyst
Jeff, Forensic Analyst
Sharon, Medical Examiner, head of forensics.



 

     

© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement