FanStory.com - Chapter Zweiundzwanzig part zweiby barbara.wilkey
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Anderson and Shana arrive in Austin, Texas.
Perennials of War
: Chapter Zweiundzwanzig part zwei by barbara.wilkey

Background
Is Anderson a gallant knight? Can he recover Shana's family's stolen relics and heal the wounds of genocide?

ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

Anderson nodded. "Whoa! Slow down, but yes, you heard right. The Russian mafia has put a hit on me and, yes, we need to beef-up security on the oil rigs, basically all our properties and businesses. I understand it's inconvenient and will cost money, but we have no choice. We'll discuss it after I land." He put his phone away.

"I'm so sorry. I never thought all of this would happen over a painting. I wish I could undo everything. I've messed up not only my life, but yours." Shana wiped an escaped tear. "I wish I never got into your car."

"I'm glad you did. I'd hate to think what Kuznetsov's men would've done." Anderson tapped his fingers on the computer. "My business issues are none of your concern. They'll take care of themselves. My only concern is your safety. Besides, if you hadn't got in my car, we never would've met."

"And you would've been a lot better off."

"I wouldn't say that. I think you've enriched my life more than you care to know about."

Shana tilted her head. "What are you saying?"

""Mr. Sharp, we're preparing to land. It could be a rough one. The Texas wind is rearing its ugly head. Gusts are up to fifty-five miles per hour." The pilot laughed.


TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 22 part 2

As Anderson and Shana neared the waiting black BMW SUV, Zachery opened the door for Shana, "Pretty lady, sit up front with me. We'll put that scoundrel in the back. I don't have a clue what rock you found him under."

Shana chewed her bottom lip as Anderson said, "Bro, the pretty lady has a name. Please meet Shana Kohlberg. Shana, this uncouth man is my brother, and please do sit up front." He scanned the vehicle as he opened the back door and sat. "I see you borrowed Mom's car. Is yours too dirty or you forgot where you parked it last night?"

"I traded it in for a Harley. I can't wait to take this pretty lady for a ride." Zachery looked in the rearview mirror at his brother. "Any ideas about..."

"Not now," interrupted Anderson. "I think that needs to be a family discussion."

"Any thoughts about which house you're taking?"

"Nope, tonight and probably for a week or so we'll stay at the Lake Travis house with Mom and Dad. Mom said you're living there when you're not in Corpus." Anderson paused. "I take it security has already been put in place."

"Dad added a few more and a few choice words. Oh-by-the-way, he can't wait to hear your story on this one." Zachery chuckled. "Neither can I." He glanced at Shana. "I have a feeling it's a good one."

I need to reassure her. Anderson reached across the seat and touched Shana's arm. "Don't worry. Everything's going to be fine."

Zachery nodded and winked at his brother. "She a quiet one, that's for sure."

I hope Zachery got the hint and will keep his mouth shut. I doubt she's used to brother bantering. Maybe this wasn't such a great idea. Anderson released a deep breath as they turned into the driveway. It's too late now.

"I'll take you to your room. After you're settled, you can meet everybody." Anderson put his hand on the small of Shana's back and led her to a large bedroom with a private bath. "Take as long as you need." He turned to leave but stopped. "Don't get too settled. I'm not sure how long we'll be here. We'll discuss that in the morning."

"Drew, thank you."

He grinned. "Would you quit thanking me, please?" After she nodded, he left.

*****
About thirty minutes later, Shana followed the sound of voices. As Michael Sharp, Anderson's dad said, "You boys have gotten yourself into some interesting messes through the years. I can't wait to hear how you got into trouble with the Russian Mafia. This must be one hell of a story."

"Drew?" whispered Shana standing in the doorway.

"Dad, I'd like you to meet Shana Kohlberg. Shana..."

"Michael," he interrupted and offered his hand. "I guess I need to rephrase that. After meeting you, I see exactly why my son got mixed up in this mess." He paused. "But now my question is how'd you get mixed-up with the Russians?" He motioned to the numerous assortment of chairs. "Take your pick. But don't start, yet." He yelled, "Susan, come in here. I know you're not going to believe this unless you hear it yourself. This way we won't have to repeat it over and over. I know it's gonna be a doozy. "

Anderson waited for Shana to sit and then sat beside her.

Zachery and Susan entered together.

After introductions, Michael turned to Shana. "Please, how did a cute little thing like you get involved with the Russian Mafia?"

Silence followed, as Susan studied Shana for a few moments. "I have a feeling our boldness is intimidating, right dear?" She patted her son's arm. "Drew, please tell us what happened," and then she addressed Shana, "Feel free to add at any time."

"I doubt she'll add anything. I haven't heard her speak. She was silent all the way home." Zachery leaned back in his chair enough that the front legs lifted from the floor.

"She spoke when she entered the room." Michael smiled. "My wife's probably right, she usually is. Sorry, we've been abrupt. Besides, Zack, you probably never stopped talking so she could speak. Drew?"

Anderson leaned over Shana, touched her arm, and whispered, "Is it okay if I start at your sixteenth birthday and the trip to Germany?"

"I think it would be best."

"Will do."












Characters so far:

Shana Kohlberg -- a 25 year old high school English literature teacher -- she's trying to get her family's painting back

Anderson Sharp -- often called Drew -- 31 years old -- works part-time on Wall Street -- a billionaire from Texas oil wells

Dmitry Bezrukov -- one of three Russian men in black suits

Jeff Burk -- takes care of Anderson's cars and important security details.

Helen -- Anderson's cook

Jane -- Anderson's housekeeper

Philip -- Anderson's butler -- close friend and confident

Kyle -- Anderson's dog walker

Axel -- Anderson's lead German shepherd

Thor -- Anderson's second German shepherd

Romeo -- Anderson's third German shepherd

Aaron Kohlberg -- Shana's older brother

Ivan Kuznetsov -- formally Ivan Morozov, I accidently chose a real person, so I have changed it present day owner of the painting.

Patricia -- Anderson's ex-wife

Emily -- Anderson's five year old daughter

Isaiah Glassberg -- Anderson divorce/custody attorney.

Jeremy -- Jane's second-cousin twice removed, NYC undercover cop.

Hannah Jacobs -- Shana's cousin, the same age and best friend. Married within the past year and just had a baby, Sarah. Her husband, Paul. Sarah was just diagnosed with Tay-Sachs disease.

Joshua Colton -- Art Museum's curator

Benjamin Kohlberg -- Shana's father

Eliana Kohlberg - - Shana's mother

Maxwell Gaines -- Lawyer hired to retrieve the painting

Erich Berger -- Manager of the Dorotheum art auction house in Austria

Mary Pritchard -- The lady Anderson hired to help Hannah while she's in Boston with Sarah.

Zachery Sharp -- Anderson's younger brother

Michael Sharp -- Anderson's father

Susan Sharp --Anderson's mother

Recognized

Author Notes
Thank you Google Images for an image of a ranch style house. Maybe similar to the house where Anderson's parents reside. Well, I made changes all the way to clicking save. I hope I didn't make more mistakes. Again, thank you for all the support you give my writing.

     

© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement