FanStory.com - haiku (hepatica blooms)by Mrs. KT
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
haiku: rebirth
haiku (hepatica blooms) by Mrs. KT
Haiku Poetry Contest contest entry

<<<~~~>>> 

hepatica blooms
woodlands' first colorful breath:
tenacious herald

 
<<<~~~>>>

 


Recognized

Author Notes
Please note:
"blooms" is employed as a transitive verb in the above poetic offering.
12. Archaic
to cause to bloom, flower, or flourish
Websterâ??s New World College Dictionary, 4th Edition. Copyright �© 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. All rights reserved.



One of the very first activities I do every spring is search for the first wildflowers in the woodlands surrounding my home. In northern Michigan, one of the most delightful early blooming species is hepatica (Hepatica nobilis). Its bright blue, white, or pink flowers warm the hearts of all who see them, as they shimmer in the rays of sunshine that reaches the forest floor thru the branches of the leafless trees of earliest springtime. The flowers may not fully open on a rainy day but even on cloudy days it is still quite a thrill to come across the subtle elegance of the partially opened flowers proclaiming the birth of the new season. The flowers have a fresh, delicate scent, and their fragrance promises that spring is just around the corner. And while trillium, daffodils, and bleeding hearts will always command a special place in my heart, hepatica is special, too, for it often blooms when snow is on the ground, and yet, it perseveres...

     

© Copyright 2024. Mrs. KT All rights reserved.
Mrs. KT has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement