FanStory.com - FOW Playby Marvin Calloway
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Murder Robbery
Loophole
: FOW Play by Marvin Calloway

Background
A murder mystery being solved by a retiring detective and a woman who idolizes him.

Last lines of chapter 4:

After the robber went outside, do you know what happened?”

I hear that Mr. Sterling shot the robber.”

You mean you heard the shot?”

I think I did. What I meant was, rumors were flying around that Mr. Sterling shot him.”

Now we're getting somewhere.”

                                                                          Chapter 5

                                                                   More Statements

Ms. Doherty chose Joan Berkowitz to be the next interviewee. “Please sit over there, Mrs. Berkowicz.” She pointed to the swivel chair with the missing wheel, on the side of the desk with the missing leg. “These furnishings are in disrepair. Please be careful.”

You are Mrs. Berkowicz?” Detective Brennan said.

Yes.”

Where do you work?”

At the Wilton Savings and Loan.”

I know that. I meant where is your desk?”

In my office,” she said.

Did someone put you up to this?”

What do you mean?”

Let's start over. Where is your office and don't tell me it's in the bank?”

It's in the back.”

Finally, we're beginning to make progress. Are you upset over what happened or are you even aware of what happened?”

I know Trudy got shot.”

That's the name of teller number two?”

Yes. Is she going to be alright?”

I'm sorry, I don't have that information. Ms. Doherty, call the hospital and get an update on the health status of teller number two and the robber. And get their full names while you're at it.”

May I use the phone in your office, Mrs. Berkowitz?” Amanda said.

                                                                     < < ^ > >

Of course, Amanda had her own phone, but she wanted the opportunity to get the lay of the land. She checked out the spot where Trudy got shot, the sight lines from Mr. Sterling's office to the teller's window and from his office to the entrance to the bank, among other details, while Detective Brennan continued his interrogation of Mrs. Berkowitz.

                                                                    < < ^ > >

Did you happen to hear anything that might be pertinent to the case?”

Everything was quiet by the time I left my office. I poked my head around the partition that blocks my area from the lobby and saw what I assumed was the robber. He was outside. I saw a hand holding a gun pointed at him on his right.”

Your left.”

Correct. I heard a shot and the robber fell to the ground. I hurried back to my office and locked myself in.”

Could you see the face of the shooter?”

No.”

What about a sleeve of a shirt or jacket?”

It looked like the suit coat of Mr. Sterling.”

                                                                     < < ^ > >

From the privacy of Mrs. Berkowitz's office, Amanda learned that Gertrude (Trudy) Lascola is struggling for her life and wanted to make a statement. Amanda immediately called headquarters to arrange for a plainclothes detective to go to Mercy Hospital and record her statement.

                                                                     < < ^ > >

When Amanda got back to the 'interrogation room' the mob had disbursed. She knocked on the door, told Brennan she had something important to relate. Upon hearing her message, he commended her and said, “You didn't miss anything. The custodian, Biff Farrel, had nothing to add, unless you would enjoy hearing what his new grandson did for the first time, today.”


Author Notes
This is Chapter 5 of a short story titled, FOW Play. It has nothing at all to do with Loophole, my novel.

     

© Copyright 2024. Marvin Calloway All rights reserved.
Marvin Calloway has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement