FanStory.com - Lake Daunting (150 words)by DALLAS01
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A ghostly re enactment.
Lake Daunting (150 words) by DALLAS01
150 Words Flash Fiction contest entry

Every July 22nd, the anniversary of her twin's death, Maura could be found on the banks of Lake Daunting. And today, twenty years later was no different unless you took into consideration the fact that she knew this year would be her last.

Unlike the other times, today, a strange calm descended on her as she sat on the edge of the dock dangling her feet, shoes and all, in the lapping water. Searching the distance, she waited for the ghostly image to reappear.

She closed her eyes and heard Laura's taunting accusation. "Mommy said it's all your fault." Maura tried to shake off the disgust and guilt, but Laura wouldn't stop. "You let daddy in your room. It's all your fault."

Forming in the mist, the last thing Maura would see as she slipped gently into the lake, was the image of her flinging Laura into the water.

Author Notes
Thanks to SteveANH for the artwork

     

© Copyright 2024. DALLAS01 All rights reserved.
DALLAS01 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement