FanStory.com - Shopping - 2035by D.F. Wood
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Two Teenage Girls Shop in the Future
Shopping - 2035 by D.F. Wood

It was a warm Saturday afternoon in the Spring of 2035. Connie and Jane walked side by side down Main street of their small hometown. They were shopping for fabric for their fashion club at school. Fabric is one of the products still available to people to examine before purchasing. The texture, thickness, and feel of the materials are not easy to select online.

The two girls stopped giggling long enough to enter Johnson & Johnson's Textiles. Connie spoke up, "We need to find the apparel section. It's toward the back, I think." The girls had to weave in and around the people in line to use the kiosks located at the front of the store. There never seemed to be enough lanes open to serve the public.

"Oh, here it is," squealed Jane. "I love velvet. Look at this bright red."

"Where's the list of the different materials we're supposed to get? Do you have it, Jane?"

"Yes, it's in my phone, just a sec."

"Thank you, Allah. I knew I could count on you, Jane."

"So why you thanking Allah if you need me? I can't believe you still believe in that religious crap."

"Well, it doesn't hurt to believe. You just never know."

"Oh, I know. I know damn good and well that when we die, we'll rot in the damn ground."

Disgusted, and not wanting to argue, Connie turned her focus back to their task. "What do you think of this yellow chiffon?"

"No, chiffon's not on the list. We need polycot, polyester, acetate, rayon, and nylon."

"What's polycot?" asked Connie. "I've never heard of that one."

"Polycot is a blend of polyester and cotton. It pretty much replaced pure cotton. Be sure to grab one of the ID cards for each fabric."

"Yes, I've got them. You think I'm stupid or something? Hey Jane, you want to go get ice cream after this?"

"For sure. We'll walk over to Snack-N-Shake's, maybe Fernando will be there," laughed Jane.

"Will you forget about him. He's such a dolt."

"Come on, we've got to check out now."

"Have you got that app for the fashion club, Jane?"

"Oh, gosh yes. It would be impossible to checkout without it. We'd be here for hours."

"I know, thanks to all the crime. No more bank cards, no more currency, no more anything. We're stuck with all the apps. It's a wonder I don't have my personal app tattooed on my forehead."

Laughing, Jane replies, "You're so funny Connie. We all got chips now. You don't need a disgusting tattoo."

"Some tattoos are cool. I'm going to get one someday."

Jane inserts the ID cards for the fabric in the slot on the kiosk. The total displays on the screen. Holding her phone up to the scan area, the kiosk reads the unique app for the account to charge to.
"That's it Connie, the stuff should arrive at school on Monday. Now, let's go get that ice cream."

Author Notes
For some reason, this scene of the future came into my head. Maybe because some of us were talking about what the brick and mortar stores would need to do to survive.

     

© Copyright 2024. D.F. Wood All rights reserved.
D.F. Wood has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement