FanStory.com - Questions and Answers.by aryr
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Reviewing what has been learned.
The Life of Mrs. Armstrong
: Questions and Answers. by aryr

Background
Mrs. Armstrong comes out of retirement, has to gain control of her class and decides there is hope.

By this time an hour had passed and the students had been drilled intensely. I now knew where they had left off at and what ground Mrs. Trenton had gained.

"Okay, people, since I know what you have learned and what we shall review today and tomorrow; how about we take a few minutes to stretch and refresh?"

No one responded either verbally or physically. They just sat and stared at me. I randomly picked a student to inquire about any confusion. It was 10:00 hours and yet no one stirred.

"Mrs. Armstrong, are you waiting for an answer or are you suggesting that we take a few minutes? And what exactly is a stretch and refresh?"

It appears that I had befuddled them with my suggestion, but at least I had their attention and their silence.

"Stretch and refresh means to take a ten minute break, where one can either sit or stand and literally stretch out stress and tight muscles. I usually suggest one mid-morning and again mid-afternoon. I like to think of it as a brief recess. Shall we?"

A sea of heads nodded in affirmation and chairs slide back from the desks. Some chose to stand with outstretched arms, while others twisted in their chairs. A few even bent over to touch their toes to loosen up. Ten minutes passed quickly but they all seemed to like the idea.

"Okay, now to the questions. Who would like to start?"

A timid young lady in the middle of the class raised her hand. She was about to stand, but I stopped her.

"Since we are all adults I feel that provided you speak clearly and loudly enough to be heard by everyone there is no need to stand. The choice of course shall remain yours. Your question, please?"

"When we were studying the flow of blood last week, can't picture it correctly in my mind. Do you have any hints?"

Two hands shot up. The first young man was correct with his answer, "It flows from the body into the right atrium, then to the right ventricle, then the left atrium and left ventricle." He smiled upon completion.

The second young man again raised his hand and I nodded. "It enters into the right atrium, through the tricuspid valve to the right ventricle, then through the pulmonic valve to the artery and to the lungs, it gets oxygen and goes back to the heart to the left atrium, through the mitral valve to the left ventricle, it goes into the aorta and then to the body."

"That is correct on both accounts, but does it help with the question? Are their any hints, any suggestions?" I asked, hoping to make them think about the question rather than quote a text book.

Another hand slide slowly up and I pointed in that direction.

"I first memorized the parts of the heart, then came up with 'R' for return and right side and 'L' for leave and left side. I don't know if that helps but that's how I do it." I was rewarded with another smile.

I focused on the young lady and asked, "We have had three answers to your question, have any of them helped you?"

She smiled as she said, "All three were helpful but the last one was the best for me to picture in my mind."

"Okay, so now you have an idea about how we will do the questions and answers. What is the next question."

At the back of the room, a hand raised and with my responding nod the young man asked, "I don't really understand why we can't take a pulse with our thumb?"

Several hands were raised. I deliberately picked problem person number three, who answered, "Because you get your own pulse from your thumb, you dummy!"

Because they were sitting across the aisle from each other the first young man responded after delivering a punch to the arm, "I am not a dummy!"

Before it escalated further, I interrupted. "There are no dummies in this class and no one shall be addressed as such. Is that clear? I would like the both of you to stay after class for a few minutes at the end of the day."

We went back to the question and answer protocol, until it was time for lunch. They were allowed an hour break. I encouraged them to be on time and that they would have until 1315 to settle. I was ready for my coffee.

     

© Copyright 2024. aryr All rights reserved.
aryr has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement