FanStory.com - Changeby Thesis
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Navy Seal to Daughter
Change by Thesis
Dialogue Only Writing Contest contest entry

"Is this a joke, Jimmy?"

"No Dad, it's not."

"I'm really confused. My decorated Navy Seal son shows up at my door dressed like a woman, in heels, a skirt, with breasts, and you tell me this isn't a joke?"

"Dad, it's a long story, can I come in?"

"Of course, son. I'm just at a loss for words."

"I thought you would be Dad. I brought some Scotch, I'm sure you need a drink, I know I do."

"You look so much like a girl."

"Thanks."

"So this is why I haven't seen you in a year?"

"I didn't want to come over until I had transitioned almost to the point of no return."

"What does that mean?"

"It means that I really need your support, Dad. All my life, I was the model son, the protector of everyone, the Navy Seal, who fought for everyone's rights, but I was empty inside, because no one was fighting for mine. I've known for twenty years that I was really a woman inside. Yet, because of the embarrassment it would cause, I silently suffered, rather than cause the family any pain. But, after my two tours in Afghanistan and one in Iraq, I decided I can't live to please other people. I have to do what I need to do for me, because life is too short. I hope you can understand that."

"I need a drink. Can you open that Scotch, I'll get the glasses."

"Okay, Dad."

"No one can ever say that you weren't the perfect son. I'm just sorry you never told me about this before, Jimmy. Do I even call you Jimmy anymore?"

"Dad, you can call me anything you want. My friends call me Jane now, but Jimmy fine with me."

"I never knew that you had those feelings. Your mother and I would have supported whatever you wanted to do. You were our life. I'm just trying to understand this, Jimmie, it's hard for me. Since she's passed, I can't afford to lose my only child. So I'll support whatever you want to do, but I really need that drink. In fact, I hope you and I will become closer than we have been."

"Here, Dad. Cheers."

"Ah, that's good Scotch, Jimmie."

"I thought you would like it, Dad. It's Johnnie Walker Blue. I saved it for a special occasion. Coming out to my Dad, certainly qualifies as a special occasion to me."

"Son, I don't know what to say. All I know is that I've always loved you, I will always support you, and you could never disappoint me, no matter what you did. If this is what you want, I will support your decision, unconditionally. I'm glad you came to visit me. I'm proud of you for doing what you believe in, and for finding who you really are. Gender to me does not make a difference. Being true to yourself and being a good person means much more to me. Having a daughter is new to me, but one I can get used to, especially when I know she can drink me under the table."

"I actually brought two bottles, Dad."

"A woman after my own heart Jane."

Author Notes
This story was inspired by a friend who recently came out to his Dad. Because he was a decorated veteran, it was hard for him and his family to realize this is who he really was. I applaud his bravery. And, for his service to our country.

The photo is licensed to me from Adobe Stock.

     

© Copyright 2024. Thesis All rights reserved.
Thesis has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement