FanStory.com - A Bashful Interviewby GollyGreen32
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The police question Bashful about his whereabouts.
A Bashful Interview by GollyGreen32
Snow White and the Seven Suspects writing prompt entry

"Police! Open up!"

Doc opened the door and stepped aside to let the police inside.

"I'm Officer Spells" He flipped open his badge.

The other officer flipped opened his badge. "And I'm Officer Miners. We received a missing person report from the queen."

Grumpy, Happy, Sleepy, Dopey, Bashful, and Sneezy filed into the living room from the back of the cottage.

"What can we do for you?" Doc asked.

"Snow White has been missing for the last seventy-two hours. We'd like you guys to come to the station with us," Spells said. "We want to ask you a few questions."

"Sure," Doc said. The others nodded in agreement.

***

At the police station, Spells and Miners led Bashful into an interrogation room. Spells set a soda in front of Bashful. He took a drink as the officers settled across from him. Spells then opened his tablet and clicked his pen.

"Where were you on October 31st, at about lunchtime?" Spells asked.

"I was at a cafe in the village," Bashful said.

Spells wrote on his tablet. "Who were you with?"

"I was by myself, but an old friend from university was also there eating with his
wife, and we talked for about 5 minutes." Bashful took another drink from his soda and Spells wrote on his tablet. Miners just looked at him and tapped his fingers.

"What are their names?"

"John and Joanna Crawley."

"Do you remember what you talked about?"

"John and I hadn't seen each other in a few years so we were just catching up. He told me that Joanna and he were getting ready to go on a much delayed honeymoon and asked me what I was doing."

Spells leaned back in his chair. "When was this, Bashful? In the morning or afternoon?"

Bashful sighed and stroked his beard. "Oh. I'd say it was around one. I had just finished my lunch."

Miners crossed his arms and continued to look at Bashful.

Spells twirled his pen. "And why were you eating lunch by yourself?"

Bashful frowned. "Is that illegal?"

"Just answer the question." Spells twirled his pen faster.

"I was eating lunch and writing an article. I'm a ghostwriter for a magazine."

"Which magazine?"

"Gems and Jewels. Please don't pass that on to anyone else. I have a contract clause to uphold."

Spells wrote some more on his tablet.

"When did you see Snow White?" Miners asked.

Bashful stroked his beard again. "She was leaving the cafe when I was entering. We greeted each other, but then she had to run."

"Did you notice anything unusual?" Spells asked.

"No."

"What time did you leave the cafe?" Miners asked.

"I'd say around two-thirty or so." Bashful snorted. "I had some trouble with my article."

"When did you get home?" Spells asked. His pen still rolled across the page.

"I walked. The cottage isn't far, so I'd say a little before three."

Spells sighed. "Okay, Bashful. Thanks for your time." The officers led him from the interrogation room.


Writing Prompt
Snow White is missing and the police have rounded up seven suspects. You are the detective. Pick a suspect from the lineup. Write a story between 300 and 500 words that details a police interrogation of your chosen suspect.


Author Notes
This contest felt fun for me. In a fiction workshop I attended at college, I and the other students had an option to write about a fantasy character. I wrote about Santa Claus and the details of his "normal" life.

     

© Copyright 2024. GollyGreen32 All rights reserved.
GollyGreen32 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement