FanStory.com - Chapter Achtzehn part einby barbara.wilkey
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Shana needs to leave the penthouse.
Perennials of War
: Chapter Achtzehn part ein by barbara.wilkey
Book of the Month contest entry

Background
Is Anderson a gallant knight? Can he recover Shana's family's stolen relics and heal the wounds of genocide?

ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

Anderson glanced toward the patio and then asked, "Could I have this dance?"

Shana took his hand and made sure a comfortable distance remained between them. He placed his hand at her waist and with his other held her hand. After the song had played for a few moments, Shana rested her head against his chest.

Just before the song ended, Shana stepped away. "This isn't right?" She hurried toward her room.

"Wait. Why isn't it?"

She paused. "I'm middle class, and you're upper class."

Anderson took a step toward her and reached out his hand. "We can work around that. It shouldn't matter."

"You're Gentile, and I'm Jewish. We can't work around that." Shana continued to her room.

Anderson went into his den and slammed the door.

TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 18 part 1

Early Saturday morning, as Philip walked by the den he noticed Anderson studying a large file. Anderson looked up. "I'm glad you're here. We have a lot of work to do. The new safety legislation affects not only the fracking but the off-shore drilling. Let's get an early start. We can get a lot done before breakfast."

"It's unusual for you to work before breakfast. Have you already jogged with the dogs?" As Philip sat, he paused. "Are you avoiding the elephant in the room?"

Anderson scanned the room. "I don't see an elephant. And yes, the dogs are taken care of."

"Shana?"

"What about Shana? She's not in the room, and she's hardly an elephant."

"I never thought I'd live long enough to witness you play dumb." Philip's gaze met his. "You're in love with Shana, and her returned love is the one thing your money can't buy. She's not impressed with your money." He released a deep breath. "There were, what, five or six ladies at the party last night striving to catch your attention. You didn't even notice because you want the one lady who isn't available. She's correct. She's Jewish and you're not."

Anderson glared at Philip.

Shana knocked on the door frame. "I'm sorry to bother you." She took a deep breath. After licking her lips, she continued, "Anderson, I need to leave immediately."

Philip stood and proceeded to the door. "I'll leave you alone."

"No, wait. Please don't leave," interjected Shana. "I'm sure Anderson will call you right back."

Anderson motioned her to sit. "I'm sorry about last night and promise nothing like that will happen again. It's not wise for you to leave. I can ensure your safety here. I can't if you're elsewhere."

"I understand the safety issues, but I need to catch the first flight back to Peoria." Tears welled in her eyes. "Hannah's my cousin. We are best friends and have been since we were toddlers."

"I remember hearing about her. Did something happen?"

Shana nodded. "Her five-month-old daughter was just diagnosed with Tay-Sachs disease." She used her hands to wipe the tears falling from her eyes. "Sarah started losing the ability to turn over and sit. On Thursday, Hannah took her to the pediatrician. I need to be there for Hannah."

"I understand." Anderson glanced at Philip.

"I'll make the arrangements and research Tay-Sachs disease." He left.

"I need to pack." Shana stood.

"Once Philip has the agenda set, I'll let you know. It shouldn't be long."

*****
As Philip filled Anderson in on the flight arrangements, he asked, "Do you want me or have Jeff arrange for somebody else to fly back with Shana?"

"I'm flying back with her."

"Under the circumstances, do you think that's wise?" Philip scanned the pile of papers on Anderson's desk. "You have a lot of work to do."

"Going is strictly a business decision, and I can work on the road. What I can't do, you can help." Anderson set his suitcase down.

Philip turned. "I'll let Shana know you'll be leaving shortly."

*****
Within an hour, Anderson and Shana were on his private jet headed toward General Wayne A Downing Peoria International Airport.

After a period of silence, Shana said, "Thank you for making this happen, but you didn't need to come along. I know how busy you are."

"You're welcome. I did need to tag along because I need to know you're safe. Work will always be there." Anderson paused. "Philip told me a little about this disease, but not much. I was under the impression that Tay-Sachs was something they genetically tested for."

"Hannah's husband Paul isn't Jewish, so they didn't worry about it. Both parents need to carry the gene. They knew some of Paul's ancestors were Jewish, but thought it was so far back there'd be no problem." Shana blew out a deep breath. "And now this."

Anderson's eyebrows rose. "So there is a benefit from marrying out of the Jewish faith."

Shana took a deep breath. "Jewish history spans over thirty-three- hundred years. To be born a Jew today is not an accident of birth but the total of over thousands of years of ancestral self-sacrifice, who at times gave their very lives for their beliefs. Greeks, Romans, Crusaders, Nazis and Communists have tried to obliterate Jewish faith but failed. The Jewish spirit survived and clung to its traditions despite all odds."

Standing, Anderson got two bottles of water and offered Shana one.

"Thank you. Should I continue or drop it?" After Anderson nodded, Shana continued, "Deuteronomy 7: 3-4 in the Torah forbids intermarriage, for many reasons. Should the child be circumcised, christened, both or neither? Should the child have a Bar Mitzvah or be confirmed, marry in a synagogue or a church, be buried in a Jewish cemetery or be cremated? There are just so many issues that arise that non-Jewish have never considered."

"How do Hannah and her husband handle it?"

"They seem to be working it out, but they haven't even been married two years."

"So it is possible?" Anderson hesitated. "Were they married by a rabbi?"

"They actually had both a rabbi and a minister do the service."

The pilot announced they were preparing to land.

"You'd better put on your safety belt." Anderson attached his.



*Please remember this is only part of a much longer chapter. I divide my chapters into three or four parts for ease of reviewing.*




I copied this from a Jewish manual. I hope this explains some of Shana's behavior. I have taken a few hits because she's weak. Shana may appear weak, but her strength will come out, and oh my gosh!!!

Rather it is the realization that the primary role of the Jewish woman is that of a homemaker -- the home and family unit being the nucleus of the Jewish community. In this life-saving work, the role of the Jewish woman is of crucial importance since she is the Akeret Habayit, the foundation of the home, who largely determines the character and atmosphere of the household and the future of the children in particular. In the same vein, there can be no greater fulfilment for a Jewish girl than to prepare herself for her vital role of building the House of Israel as a worthy descendant of the Matriarchs. In a world where fashion and vogue hold sway, and where expediency often takes precedence over eternal values and principles, our worthy mothers and daughters are not concerned with what some neighbor might say about the way they conduct themselves and their homes in accord with the laws of our sacred Torah. If these appear "old-fashioned" to the onlooker with his "modern" ideas of "new morality", we Jews take pride in our "old-fashioned" -- yet always new and eternal -- roots; we strive to become ever more root-like and ever more true to the primary roots of our Jewish people, whom God designated as a "Kingdom of priests and a holy nation."

Characters so far:

Shana Kohlberg -- a 25 year old high school English literature teacher -- she's trying to get her family's painting back

Anderson Sharp -- often called Drew -- 31 years old -- works part-time on Wall Street -- a billionaire from Texas oil wells

Dmitry Bezrukov -- one of three Russian men in black suits

Jeff Burk -- takes care of Anderson's cars and important security details.

Helen -- Anderson's cook

Jane -- Anderson's housekeeper

Philip -- Anderson's butler -- close friend and confident

Kyle -- Anderson's dog walker

Axel -- Anderson's lead German shepherd

Thor -- Anderson's second German shepherd

Romeo -- Anderson's third German shepherd

Aaron Kohlberg -- Shana's older brother

Ivan Kuznetsov -- formally Ivan Morozov, I accidently chose a real person, so I have changed it present day owner of the painting.

Patricia -- Anderson's ex-wife

Emily -- Anderson's five year old daughter

Isaiah Glassberg -- Anderson divorce/custody attorney.

Jeremy -- Jane's second-cousin twice removed, NYC undercover cop.

Hannah Jacobs -- Shana's cousin, the same age and best friend. Married within the past year and just had a baby, Sarah. Her husband, Paul.

Joshua Colton -- Art Museum's curator

Benjamin Kohlberg -- Shana's father

Maxwell Gaines -- Lawyer hired retrieve the painting

Erich Berger -- Manager of the Dorotheum art auction house in Austria


Recognized

Author Notes
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!! Thank you Google Images for an image of a few Jewish symbols. Most of Shana's behavior has to due with her Jewish heritage. I want to thank you for the generous support you give me. I truly appreciate it. I do value every suggestion.

True Jewish wealth:
Neither property nor money is the true Jewish wealth. The everlasting Jewish wealth is: being Jews who keep Torah and mitzvot and bringing into the world children and grandchildren who keep Torah and mitzvot.


     

© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement