FanStory.com - The Kiss of Godby Treischel
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A Ballad
Animated Stills
: The Kiss of God by Treischel



The Torah tells of Moses' death
with "Al pi Adonai."
As he was breathing his last breath,
God kissed him from on high.

He never touched the Promised Land,
still he was dearly loved.
For there upon the Sinai sand,
God kissed him from above.

Observers are all awed.
The angels all applaud,
the Kiss of God.

Imagine the clouds gathering,
as scarlet face protrudes
from purple nimbus, capturing
a Godly attitude.

The regal cloud then hovers low
containing loving lips
that reached down to the man below,
emotions to eclipse.

Observers are all awed.
The angels all applaud,
the Kiss of God.


This was a noted incident,
when God was in this state,
but not the only precedent
receiving Godly fate.

God often kisses things He loves,
those things of greatest worth.
His way of showing He approves.
He even kisses earth!

Observers are all awed.
The angels all applaud,
the Kiss of God.



Recognized

Author Notes
The sky was awesome the other day, and I took a picture of it with my cell phone from a parking lot at a store where I was Christmas shopping. In looking at it later, I noticed, just to the left of center, what looked like lips. Above them you can make out the semblance of a nose and eyes - a face in the sky! I said to myself -"This would make a wonderful Animated Still." But I needed a Muse. So I searched the internet for a story about a face in the sky, and was delighted to come across the story of Moses. Here's how The Talmud describes it.

In a Blog by Rabbi Brant Rosen, I read:
"Readers of the Torah often comment on the seeming unfairness of God's decree that Moses must die before he can enter the Promised Land. But when we reach the final verses of the Torah, the tone feels anything but untimely or tragic. Rather, God's treatment of Moses in his final moments hints at a spirit of love and tenderness."
"Commentators have made much of the words "al pi adonai - "at the command of the Lord," which literally means "at the mouth of the Lord." In the midrashic imagination, this verse is commonly read: "Moses died-at the kiss of God." Some have pointed out the poignant symmetry of this image: just as God breathes life into the first human, God reclaims Moses' soul through a similar loving act."
I tried to capture the gist of of that story, while accommodating my image as well. I also blended in the thought of a similar love for the Earth. God's kiss as rain.

This poem is a simple Ballad, using the signature 8-6 tempo, an abab rhyme scheme, and a 3 line repeated chorus, having a 6,6,4 mono-rhymed meter.

This photograph was taken by the author himself on 11/26/2017.

     

© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement