FanStory.com - Wrong Girlby Heather Knight
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
My son deserves better.
Wrong Girl by Heather Knight

Warning: The author has noted that this contains the highest level of violence.
They say I'm a monster, but I don't see why. I just did what I had to do.

The prison warden has told me to write my story in the hope that I will show some compassion and remorse, but the truth is I don't regret what I did.

It all began five years ago, when my eldest son, Josh, started dating a waitress he met at the diner where he used to have breakfast.

'A waitress?' I asked when he told me.

'Yes. So? She's a beautiful, kind woman. You'll love her when you meet her.'

I didn't. She was loud and uneducated. My Josh deserved a better woman. Even her name was stupid. Dixie... who goes through life with a name like that?

Three years ago, they decided to tie the knot. I spent the ceremony and the reception gritting my teeth. My husband, Donald, tried to cheer me up unsuccessfully...

'Come on, Linda. Josh is happy. Can't you see that?'

'Yes, he is happy now, but... Just wait and see...'

However, time passed and Josh and Dixie seemed to be more in love than ever. I realized I would have to take matters into my own hands.

One morning, while I was hoovering, the phone rang. It was Josh.

'Hi, Mum. I have good news,' he said.

'Have you won the lottery?'

'No... Dixie is pregnant.'

I don't remember what I said. I just know I dropped the phone and ran to the bathroom to throw up. And then I started plotting...

Dixie being a vegetarian gave me the perfect opportunity. I would poison her food on Thanksgiving and nobody would suspect me. I had heard of a new substance that left no trace and acted quite quickly.

I never thought about that little baby growing inside my daughter-in-law. After all, everything was Josh's fault. None of this would have happened if he had divorced her.

On Thanksgiving day, our guests arrived early. Dixie gave me a box of chocolates that she had made herself.

'This is very kind of you,' I said.

'I hope you like them.'

I have to confess I felt a bit guilty right then. She could be quite charming when she wanted to. But nothing would sway me from my purpose. My son was the CEO of a big company and could have married one of the many powerful women he worked with.

Anyway... I digress. After a few minutes of idle chit-chat that I used to tell Dixie her dress was too revealing and a bit tacky, we moved to the living room.

I had set the table in the morning and everything looked beautiful. I had used my best china, the set with the little pink roses and the golden rims. It looked slightly old fashioned, but also dainty.

'Sit down, please. Dad and I will bring in the hot dishes. Wait till you see what I have cooked for you, Dixie.'

I saw my son smile, happy because I was being nice to his wife. Then, I saw him put his hand around her waist and my insides contracted in anger.

We brought in the turkey and the beautiful tofu dish. I had shaped it like a bird to make it look more appealing. Once it was ready, I had injected it with the poison.

'Come on, let's start eating.'

I watched my victim like a hawk. Just a few bites would do the trick...

And then everything went wrong.

'That looks great. Can I try it?' Josh asked his wife.

Before I had time to say anything, he got a piece and put it in his mouth.

Donald couldn't understand the horror on my face. Well, not at first...

During the trial, the judge said I got what I deserved. The death of my son was, according to her, a fit punishment. It was a shame three innocent people had to die for me to end up in the place I deserved as a home.

So here I am, on Death Row. Tomorrow, when they ask me what I want for my last meal, I think I will say turkey. Not tofu turkey, of course. I want the real deal.

Recognized

     

© Copyright 2024. Heather Knight All rights reserved.
Heather Knight has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement