FanStory.com - Lyric Writing Tip #1: Slim To Noneby Brett Matthew West
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The importance of editing your lyric
Lyric Writing Tip #1: Slim To None by Brett Matthew West

Let's be honest with one another for a moment, shall we? How many of you are guilty of doing what I myself have done before?

You sit down with a pencil and a piece of paper, and in a few minutes believe you have created your newest masterpiece lyric, only to sadly discover that WRONG! Thus the name of this posting: slim to none.

Way too frequently lyricists believe they can complete a lyric in this manner. I am here to tell you that most of the time writing lyrics in this manner simply does not work very well.

Now, if your name is Larry Gatlin, and you are sitting in a traffic jam in Los Angeles, where you happen to write the country music smash hit "All The Gold In California" in seven minutes, then you might be the exception to this rule.

The most successful lyricists have learned to rewrite their lyrics a number of times before calling them complete. In these edits they make certain all lines are the most relevant, and as appealing as they can be. They also replace phrases as needed and tighten up their rhymes. I know, this sounds like work! It is.

Oh, and let's don't forget to avoid those same old worn out cliches you hear over and over again and provide these gems their own unique twists. For example, take a look at this one: "break my heart". Why not do something like Diane Warren did and turn that old worn out cliche into a much more interesting sentiment like "un-break my heart"?

Remember, lyric writing is all about showing, not telling. Techniques for this include vivid imagery and interesting characters. Paul Simon was a specialist in penning these types of lyrics.

The more practice lyricists are willing to place into rewriting their lyrics the better they will become at their craft.

***This lyric writing tip was presented to the Lyrics Make The Song club by yours truly.

If you have a desire to learn more about lyric writing, or are looking for a place to post your lyrics or completed songs (but nothing belonging to somebody else you downloaded from somewhere. Those aren't allowed.) then you are cordially invited to join us.

***I am including this note because I am receiving several inquiries about how to join our club. It's easy.

-When you sign into FanStory, in the blue space at the top of the page, you will see Community. Click on that word.

-Next, you will see a drop down menu that contains the word Clubs. Click on that.

-Then, you will see Lyrics Make The Song at the top of the club listings. Click on that and you have joined us. All FanStorians are cordially invited to do so.

(If nothing more, feel free to PM me and I will walk you through the process of becoming a member of Lyrics Make The Song.)

Until the next time!

Author Notes
G is for GUITARS, by SCHATZLING, selected to complement my lyric writing tip.

So, thanks SCHATZLING, for the use of your picture. It goes so nicely with my lyric writing tip.

     

© Copyright 2024. Brett Matthew West All rights reserved.
Brett Matthew West has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement