FanStory.com - Dad's Altered Realityby Thesis
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A once brilliant mind, deteriorating.
Dad's Altered Reality by Thesis
The Neglected #300 Contest writing prompt entry

My father left me a message on voicemail.

"Jason, I've met someone and I would like you to meet her. She's beautiful, and reminds me of your mother. Come for dinner tonight if you can, please?"

My plans didn't include a stop at dad's tonight, but it had been over a month since I saw him. Leaving work, I stopped for a bottle of wine. I wasn't going to have dinner, but could stay to at least have a drink with them.

Bernie, the doorman at the Pierre, greeted me.

"I'm glad you came, Jason. I'm worried about your dad."

"Why, what's he been doing, Bernie?"

"He's been acting strange, he tells me he is seeing a woman, and that she's been here many times in the evening. Jason, I'm always here from four to twelve, and no woman has asked to go to his floor."

"That's strange. He told me he was having dinner with her tonight, and asked me to stop by. I guess I'll see what's going on when I get upstairs. Thanks, Bernie."

"No problem, Jason."

Arriving at the fourth floor, I rang the bell, and used my key to enter.

"It's me, dad."

"Jason, I'm happy you came. I want you to meet Yvette. She's beautiful, isn't she?"

I stood there, unable to move or react. My father was having dinner with half of a female mannequin. He had poured her wine, and was asking her to introduce herself to me.

Tears streamed down my face when I realized dad was no longer in control of his mind. How could I have not seen this coming? Filled with guilt, I loathed my irresponsible handling of his care and wellbeing, having selfishly focused on only my career.

I called Bernie.

"Bernie, I'll be staying here tonight."


Writing Prompt
Why aren't there more prompts for 300-word stories. This will fix that. Write a story, any topic in fiction, that is exactly 300 words long.

Author Notes
300 Words Exactly

The mage is licensed to me by Adobe Stock.

     

© Copyright 2024. Thesis All rights reserved.
Thesis has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement