FanStory.com - Chapter Funfzehn part dreiby barbara.wilkey
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Anderson and Emily go to the park.
Perennials of War
: Chapter Funfzehn part drei by barbara.wilkey

Background
Is Anderson a gallant knight? Can he recover Shana's family's stolen relics and heal the wounds of genocide?

ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

As they got ready to leave, Emily stalled. "What about Ms. Shana? She needs to go to the park too."

Anderson knelt to Emily's level. "Ms. Shana isn't able to come with us."

Shana was sitting on the patio.

Emily ran to her and took her hand. "Don't you want to go to the park with me?" She pouted.

"Sweetheart, of course, I want to go. It sounds like so much fun." Shana held up King Lear. "Come August, I'll need to teach my students about King Lear. I need to learn about him so I can do that. While you're having fun, I'll be studying." She smiled. "Don't have too much fun because when you return, I'll be ready for having fun."

"I won't. I'll save some fun for you." Emily hugged her.



TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 15 part 3

As Anderson opened the car door, Emily paused before entering. "Daddy, I'm happy Uncle Philip and Uncle Jeff are going with us. Uncle Philip only comes when you have work to do, and Uncle Jeff never does. What's going on?"

Philip raised an eyebrow and waited for Anderson's answer.

"Both men have been inside for such a long time I felt they needed some sunshine. They were getting grumpy." Anderson motioned for Emily to get in as she giggled.

"That's right, Emily. I need some sunshine. Can I sit by you?" asked Jeff.

"Sure. Do you like to swing?"

"Swinging is my favorite. Think I'm too big for the slide?"

She tilted her head. "Maybe." With a smile, she leaned over and whispered, "Think we can talk Daddy into some ice cream?"

Jeff winked. "I can't, but I bet you can."

"I heard that." Anderson pretended to annoyance by crunching his eyebrows together.

At the park, Jeff and Philip scanned the area and nodded toward Anderson as he held the car door for Emily. She looked up at him. "Something's wrong, isn't it?"

"Why would you say that, sweetheart?"

"I've watched movies and TV. They're acting like bodyguards."

"Didn't Mommy help you choose what to watch?"

"She told me what we were watching."

Anderson made a fist.

Philip whispered in his ear. "Not in front of Emily."

Jeff nodded his head to the left. "Company just drove up."

"Emily, why don't you swing?" After she went toward the swings, Anderson whispered, "As long as they stay in the car, we're fine." He set his jaw. "Certainly, Kuznetsov wouldn't order a hit on an innocent child."

"We'll watch for weapons." Philip moved so he could get a better look at the black sedan.

"I could have a friendly chat with them," offered Jeff.

"I'm going to play with my daughter." Anderson walked toward her. "It's not fair to keep her indoors all summer."

*****

Just before dinner, Emily ran up to Shana. "Did you miss me?"

"I sure did." Shana set a bookmark in place and set the book aside. "What did you do?"

"I swung so high, I felt like I was flying."

"I used to do that when I was little." Shana smiled. "Did you do anything else?"

"I went down the slide a whole bunch. It was hot on my legs, but it was still fun." Emily whispered into Shana's ear. "Daddy bought us ice cream from a truck. I promised not to tell Aunt Jane or Aunt Helen. He had some too." She giggled. "It was really good."

Shana put her finger to her lips. "Your secret is safe with me. Did your daddy have fun?"

Emily frowned. "He was too worried about some men sitting in a car. I don't know why he didn't invite them to play with us."

"Oh!" Shana's eyes widened and looked up as Anderson entered. "Is everything all right?"

"Yes." He touched Emily's arm. "Why don't you wash up for dinner? I'm sure it's almost ready."

After Emily went toward her room, Anderson continued, "I'm glad you stayed here."

"Do you think they'll attempt to hurt Emily?" Shana chewed on her lower lip. Before Anderson could answer, she added, "I'd better leave. I don't want my presence putting anybody in danger, especially Emily."

He stepped closer and knelt so his eyes met hers. "I promise I won't let anything happen to anyone I care about."



*Please remember this is only part of a much longer chapter. I divide my chapters into three or four parts for ease of reviewing.*


Characters so far:

Shana Kohlberg -- a 25 year old high school English literature teacher -- she's trying to get her family's painting back

Anderson Sharp -- often called Drew -- 31 years old -- works part-time on Wall Street -- a billionaire from Texas oil wells

Dmitry Bezrukov -- one of three Russian men in black suits

Jeff Burk -- takes care of Anderson's cars and important security details.

Helen -- Anderson's cook

Jane -- Anderson's housekeeper

Philip -- Anderson's butler -- close friend and confident

Kyle -- Anderson's dog walker

Axel -- Anderson's lead German shepherd

Thor -- Anderson's second German shepherd

Romeo -- Anderson's third German shepherd

Aaron Kohlberg -- Shana's older brother

Ivan Kuznetsov -- formally Ivan Morozov, I accidently chose a real person, so I have changed it present day owner of the painting.

Patricia -- Anderson's ex-wife

Emily -- Anderson's five year old daughter

Isaiah Glassberg -- Anderson divorce/custody attorney.

Jeremy -- Jane's second-cousin twice removed, NYC undercover cop.

Hannah -- Shana's cousin, the same age. Married within the past year and just had a baby

Joshua Colton -- Art Museum's curator

Benjamin Kohlberg -- Shana's father

Maxwell Gaines -- Lawyer hired to get painting back

Recognized

Author Notes
Thank you Google Images for an image of a New York City ice cream truck. I want to thank you for the generous support you give me. I truly appreciate it. I do value every suggestion.

     

© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement