FanStory.com - Chapter Vierzehn part einsby barbara.wilkey
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Shana has questions.
Perennials of War
: Chapter Vierzehn part eins by barbara.wilkey

Background
Is Anderson a gallant knight? Can he recover Shana's family's stolen relics and heal the wounds of genocide?

ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

As the three men headed toward the door, Jeff saluted the customers. "Show's over. Enjoy the rest of your dinner."

On the sidewalk, Philip asked, "Think we're going to be followed?"

"I doubt it, but be ready for anything." Anderson entered the code that unlocked the car door.

Jeff smiled. "That was fun." As he sat in the backseat he asked, "How much you willing to pay to get Shana's painting back?"

TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 14 part 1

Philip and Anderson dropped Jeff at his house and then went home. As the elevator door opened, Shana ran to them. "You're safe!" She released a deep breath.

"I guess you were worried." Anderson grinned.

"Maybe a little. Tell me everything. What happened?"

"Nothing happened. Kuznetsov agreed to have his lawyer contact me with a receipt verifying he bought the artwork. Now we wait." Anderson removed his sports jacket.

"But how could he have purchased it? My family didn't sell it." Before Anderson could answer, she asked, "Did Kuznetsov come to your table and greet you?"

"One question at a time." After a short pause, he said, "We enticed him to talk with us." His eyes met Philip's. "There's a lady in California who recently had looted artwork returned. In the morning, find out who her lawyers were. If they're not licensed to practice in New York, see if they can recommend somebody. I doubt Isaiah or the corporate lawyers would be the best for this issue."

"I agree, since he specializes in divorce and custody and they in business deals. I'll do it first thing in the morning. I forgot to mention Isaiah contacted the police department and CPS on the other matter and is waiting for their answer."

Anderson faced Shana. "As for your other question, I don't know how he has a receipt. We'll have to wait and see what he produces. Right now, I think I'll get some sleep." He grinned. "I'm sure you must be tired. Searching for buried treasure had to be hard work."

"I'll see you at breakfast." Shana headed to her room. "I doubt I'll get much sleep."

*****
Everybody was already seated at the dining room table when Shana entered. "I'm sorry. I had a restless night." She glanced at Jane. "Next time, please wake me."

"Don't worry about it. I can always put a plate back." Helen winked at her.

"Aunt Jane says children need to stay on schedule. I don't know what she's talking about. Mommy let me stay up as late as I wanted and sleep all day." Emily shook her head. "Maybe she needs to set up a schedule for you too."

"I think you could be right." Shana accepted the fruit bowl passed to her.

Philip glanced at his watch. "I found the name and number of the lady in California. In a few hours, I'll call."

Anderson nodded. "It'll be interesting to see what Kuznetsov comes up with for a receipt." He paused. "Before I forget, dessert will be delivered around five o'clock."

Helen nodded. "Okay. What is it?"

"Tiramisu."

Philip sipped his coffee and added more cream as he ignored the dessert conversation. "Kuznetsov could have no knowledge that the painting was stolen. He might've purchased it legally."

"But it belongs to my family. If that's true, do I still have a claim?" Shana set her fork by her plate.

"Probably. It's illegal to buy stolen goods." Anderson paused and then continued, "Emily, quit playing or you'll spill your milk."

"Can Aunt Helen put some chocolate in it? It tastes like milk. Mommy let me have strawberry milk."

"Try it first." Helen paused. "If you don't like it, I'll see if I can find some chocolate."

She sipped the milk and set it down. "Please can I have some chocolate, now?" Emily's eyes met Helen's.

Shana studied her plate and attempted to hide her smile.

Helen picked up Emily's glass. "I'll be right back."

Anderson watched Helen and shook his head. "White milk is fine." Emily pouted as he continued, "That's why I want to hire an attorney who specializes in these types of situations."

"I can't afford a specialized attorney or any for that matter." Shana's eyes met his.

"I understand, but I can, so let me help. Philip will take care of contacting one and then we'll go from there."





*Please remember this is only part of a much longer chapter. I divide my chapters into three or four parts for ease of reviewing.*


Characters so far:

Shana Kohlberg -- a 25 year old high school English literature teacher -- she's trying to get her family's painting back

Anderson Sharp -- often called Drew -- 31 years old -- works part-time on Wall Street -- a billionaire from Texas oil wells

Dmitry Bezrukov -- one of three Russian men in black suits

Jeff Burk -- takes care of Anderson's cars and important security details.

Helen -- Anderson's cook

Jane -- Anderson's housekeeper

Philip -- Anderson's butler -- close friend and confident

Kyle -- Anderson's dog walker

Axel -- Anderson's lead German shepherd

Thor -- Anderson's second German shepherd

Romeo -- Anderson's third German shepherd

Aaron Kohlberg -- Shana's older brother

Ivan Kuznetsov -- formally Ivan Morozov, I accidently chose a real person, so I have changed it present day owner of the painting.

Patricia -- Anderson's ex-wife

Emily -- Anderson's five year old daughter

Isaiah Glassberg -- Anderson divorce/custody attorney.

Jeremy -- Jane's second-cousin twice removed, NYC undercover cop.

Hannah -- Shana's cousin, the same age. Married within the past year and just had a baby

Joshua Colton -- Art Museum's curator

Benjamin Kohlberg -- Shana's father

Recognized

Author Notes
Thank you Google Images for a glass of chocolate milk. I want to thank you for the generous support you give me. I truly appreciate it.

Again, as I posted I made changes. I hope I didn't make more mistakes. I've read this dozens of times and still find errors.

     

© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement