FanStory.com - Chapter Dreizehn part vierby barbara.wilkey
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Anderson meets Ivan Kuznetsov.
Perennials of War
: Chapter Dreizehn part vier by barbara.wilkey

Background
Is Anderson a gallant knight? Can he recover Shana's family's stolen relics and heal the wounds of genocide?

ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

A gentleman dressed in a long, red coat and tall, black hat smiled as he held the door. "Thank you for coming and have a nice evening."

All three men nodded. On the sidewalk, Philip asked, "You definitely put on a show. How long do you think it'll be before we're followed?"

"Immediately. We won't even make it to our car." Anderson placed his hand on his concealed weapon.

Jeff glanced over his shoulder. "You got that right. They're right on schedule. How much time do you want to give them?"

"None. One, two, three," Anderson said in a low voice, as they turned in unison and pointed their weapons at the five men.


TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 13 part 4

"Hands up!" ordered Jeff. "Philip, gather their weapons. Check for hidden ones."

Anderson and Jeff kept guns aimed at the five men as Philip searched them. When Philip bent to check the last man for an ankle weapon, the man attempted to grab Philip's gun. Philip jerked up his elbow and hit the man in the groin. As the man doubled up in pain, he smashed his forearm into the man's nose. The man grabbed both body parts as blood streamed down his face.

"Let's go. I need to talk to your boss." Anderson nodded toward the restaurant. "Move!" he yelled.

Jeff hit one of the original two men's shoulder. "You heard him. Move!"

At the Anastasiya's Tea Room's door, the man dressed in the long, red jacket and black top hat stared at them. "You can't come in."

"You'd better tell Kuznetsov to come out to the sidewalk to talk with us. We're not leaving until we meet." Anderson's eyes met his.

When the greeter stood and glared at them, Anderson shoved the shortest man past him. "Bleed in here." He turned. "We'll wait inside."

A hostess gave the man with the bloody nose a towel. "I'll get some ice."

As he pressed it against his nose, he pointed at Philip. "That moron broke my freaking nose. I need a doctor."

A few moments later, Kuznetsov entered and said with a heavy Russian accent, "Gentlemen, there's no need for guns. We're all friends." He glanced around the dining room at the staring customers. "Let's go into my office."

Jeff nodded at Anderson before he said, "We won't be going anywhere with you. We can do business right here in the open."

"A friend of ours has documentation that states her family owns 'Winter-Traum' by Bruno Schmidt," interrupted Anderson. "This painting was stolen during Kristallnacht; the night of November 9th, 1938. It's in the Art Museum and you own it. My friend's family would like the painting returned."

"I'm sorry for this misunderstanding, but I own the painting. I didn't steal it from anybody."

"I know you have possession of the painting. I'm not accusing you of stealing it. Your ancestors may have stolen from the Nazis when Russia overtook Berlin or you may have purchased it. Either way, the painting was stolen."

"I believe your friend's ancestors sold it. Your friend would not know that, would she?"

"There's a paper trail that indicates that artwork was stolen that night. You or your family may have bought it. If you purchased it and have a valid receipt, I'm willing to refund your money plus extra. I feel that's more than fair, especially since you bought stolen merchandise. Either way, I want the painting returned."

"My lawyer will contact you with the receipt." When Kuznetsov turned to leave, he motioned for his men to follow.

Anderson whispered, "Let's go."

As the three men headed toward the door, Jeff saluted the customers. "Show's over. Enjoy the rest of your dinner."

On the sidewalk, Philip asked, "Think we're going to be followed?"

"I doubt it, but be ready for anything." Anderson entered the code that unlocked the car door.

Jeff smiled. "That was fun." As he sat in the backseat he asked, "How much you willing to pay to get Shana's painting back?"



*Please remember this is only part of a much longer chapter. I divide my chapters into three or four parts for ease of reviewing.*


Characters so far:

Shana Kohlberg -- a 25 year old high school English literature teacher -- she's trying to get her family's painting back

Anderson Sharp -- often called Drew -- 31 years old -- works part-time on Wall Street -- a billionaire from Texas oil wells

Dmitry Bezrukov -- one of three Russian men in black suits

Jeff Burk -- takes care of Anderson's cars and important security details.

Helen -- Anderson's cook

Jane -- Anderson's housekeeper

Philip -- Anderson's butler -- close friend and confident

Kyle -- Anderson's dog walker

Axel -- Anderson's lead German shepherd

Thor -- Anderson's second German shepherd

Romeo -- Anderson's third German shepherd

Aaron Kohlberg -- Shana's older brother

Ivan Kuznetsov -- formally Ivan Morozov, I accidently chose a real person, so I have changed it present day owner of the painting.

Patricia -- Anderson's ex-wife

Emily -- Anderson's five year old daughter

Isaiah Glassberg -- Anderson divorce/custody attorney.

Jeremy -- Jane's second-cousin twice removed, NYC undercover cop.

Hannah -- Shana's cousin, the same age. Married within the past year and just had a baby

Joshua Colton -- Art Museum's curator

Benjamin Kohlberg -- Shana's father

Recognized

Author Notes
Thank you Google Images for the doorman at an upscale restaurant. I want to thank you for the generous support you give me. I truly appreciate it.

As hurricane Irma ravishes our East coast, please continue to pray. It seems Jose is right behind. The islands in the Atlantic Ocean are devastated.

     

© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement