FanStory.com - The Horror Beginsby Mistydawn
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
How Katelyn's struggles began
Demons in My Head
: The Horror Begins by Mistydawn

Madeline is busy cleaning her house after a long hectic weekend with her family. If she wasn't breaking up an argument between their girls, she was quarreling with her husband, Stan.

It'd be nice if he'd help me with Katelyn and Katie instead of complaining about their noise. I don't dare suggest that to Stan, she thinks, glancing at her right arm. Her extremity never healed properly after Stan pushed her down the stairs. It's just another battle scar of life, she sighs, plugging in the vacuum. Well, I'd rather him take his anger out on me than our children. She starts thinking about her oldest daughter, Katelyn as she finishes her chore.

~~~~

Katelyn is a troublesome child from the moment she's born, crying nonstop morning, noon and night. When she isn't bawling she's throwing up her formula.

Blaming her for Katelyn's problems, Stan moves his mother into the house, to teach Madeline proper care. This leads to fighting, harsh words and bitter resentment, between Madeline and Stan.

"I've been here nearly two weeks, Stan, and this poor child hasn't improved one little bit." Glancing down at the flailing child the grandmother continues, "I think there's something wrong with her, son, I really do."

"What do you think it is, Mom?" Stan asks, glaring at Madeline

Of course, you would think I did something, Madeline thinks, sinking further into the couch. According to them, she can't do anything right, not even boil hot water.

"I'm not sure."

"What do you suggest we do?"

"I think we should take her to the doctor."

I've been telling him that for weeks, Madeline thinks, watching Stan gather Katelyn's things.

Katelyn is diagnosed with pyloric stenosis, a rare neuromuscular disorder that requires immediate surgery.

Things improve dramatically until she learns how to walk. If Katelyn isn't tearing up things, she's getting into something, climbing on things, or walking around the counters. Trying to get Katelyn to sit in one spot is impossible, making nap, and bedtime a chore. Madeline tries to corral her active child with playpens and baby gates, but neither contains her for long.

Madeline is physically and mentally spent, with no relief in sight. Stan's constant bickering over piddly stuff only heightens her stressful situation.

"I don't know how much more of this I can take, doctor," Madeline cries, pulling Katelyn down from the shelf.

"You've tried everything I've suggested?"

"Yes, but nothing seems to help."

"I was hoping it wouldn't come to this."

"Come to what?"

"I'm afraid Katelyn might be suffering from ADHD."

"What's that?"

"Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder is a mental illness that causes someone to be extremely active. It can also cause them to act out and have difficulty paying attention."

"That sounds like her, alright. Katelyn no, you get down from there. See what I mean," she groans, grabbing the child again.

Katelyn starts thrashing around in her arms, trying to break free of her grip.

"Katelyn down," the child orders, flogging around in her mom's arms.

"Fine, go."

"I'm going to prescribe Adderall, see if that doesn't help."

"I'm willing to try anything," Madeline says, watching Katelyn climb the bookshelf again.

Adderall helps with her attention span, but other problems start to arise. Katelyn starts having problems pronouncing words, occasionally confusing her words and her hostility reaches a violent level. Her doctor tries a new med, but that doesn't correct her problems.
~~~

Madeline is loading the washer when the phone rings. I hope that's not Katelyn's school again, she thinks. Katelyn's principal calls every other week, wanting Madeline to pick up her disruptive daughter.

"Yes, this is Mrs. Howard. She threatened to hurt her classmates with a knife. Of course, I didn't know she had it. I know she's been disruptive before, but she's never done anything like this. No, don't call the police,  I'll be right over," she sighs. Placing the phone in the cradle, she heads towards the door.

***

"The kids threaten to hurt me and I'm in trouble. That's not fair. Not fair, not fair, not fair," Katelyn screams, angrily pacing back and forth.

"They want to punish me for something, I'll give them something to punish me for. Running to the shelves, Katelyn starts knocking things onto the floor.

"They've always had it out for me, the kids, my teachers, even that snobby principle, Mr. Hensley. I bet they've been trying to get rid of me since I first started. Well, I don't need them, or their stinking school," she screams, running to the door.

She tries opening the heavy barrier, but it wouldn't budge. That won't hold me for long, she smiles, scanning the room for another way out. Grabbing a music stand from the corner, she lugs it across the room.

Here goes nothing,  throwing its thin metal structure through a window, glass scatters all around her. "I'll be long gone before they realize I'm missing." She laughs, carefully making her way through the shattered material.

***

Madeline sees Mr. Hensley's secretary, Betty standing at the door when she pulls up. That's not a good sign, she thinks, hesitantly climbing out of her car.

"I'm so glad you could make it, so soon, Mrs. Howard," Betty says as Madeline makes her way down the sidewalk.

Looking up from the wet pavement, Madeline gives her an evil glare.

"I've seen Katelyn upset before, but never like this."

Stepping into the building, Madeline heads towards the office. I bet her principal will have a lot to say, she wearily thinks, remembering how he threatened to expel her.

"She's not in there, Mrs. Howard."

"Where is she, then?" Madeline asks, spinning around.

"We put her in our music room, away from the other children. We thought it's best to separate her before someone gets hurt."

"How did this get started?" Madeline asks, sprinting towards the room.

Betty is running, trying to keep up with her. "We're not exactly sure how it began."

"What do you mean you're not sure?" Madeline angrily replies, spinning towards her.

The frightened woman jumps back. "The kids said she was running after them with a knife screaming, 'You're never going to hurt me again."

"Were they trying to hurt her like she claims? Let me guess, you don't know that either."

"We have so many students, that it's difficult to keep an eye on everyone."

"So you lock Katelyn away like some animal, not knowing what really happened? I suppose those kids didn't get punished, am I correct?"

"They didn't do anything wrong."

"According to them, did you ask other students what happened?"

"Well, no, but..."

"It's easier to make my daughter a martyr than find out what really happened, right?" she asks, pulling on the door. 

"We have to keep everyone safe," Betty explains, fumbling with her keys.

 Madeline sees Katelyn standing on the windowsill, broken glass all around her when she opens the door.

"Katelyn, no, don't jump," she screams, running towards her.

"Mommy," Katelyn exclaims, falling into her mother's arms.

"She could have killed herself just now," Madeline screams.

"I...I..."

"Wait until the school board hears about this. Come on, Katelyn." Grabbing her child's hand, Madeline drags her across the room.

"I need to speak to you a moment, Mrs. Howard," Mr. Hensley says, blocking the doorway. "We feel that Katlyn would do better in a different school, perhaps a private academy. They have fewer students, less stimulation."

"You're kicking a first grader out of school?"

"I don't believe we can handle her behavioral issues any longer, Mrs. Howard."

"This is the first time she's ever had an outburst like this!"

"Have you forgotten about her playground incident, when she pushed a few of her classmates into a mud puddle?"

"When did this happen?" she questions.

"About a month ago, we sent a note home with Katelyn explaining what took place."

"I never got it," Madeline says, glaring at her daughter. Katelyn smiles.

"I suppose you didn't get our notes about art class or library time either?"

"No, I haven't received any notes from you in quite some time."

"Well, I'm sorry, Mrs. Howard, but my mind is made up. She'll have to attend school somewhere else."

"We'll just see what the school board has to say about that, now won't we," she threatens.

"They're well aware of Katelyn's problems."

"They haven't heard from me yet. Come on, Katelyn," she orders, pushing past him.

"Wait, Mrs. Howard, I need you to sign some papers before you go," Mr. Hensley yells down the hall.

Madeline spins back around, Katelyn trips over her own feet as her body swings sideways. "You know what you can do with your papers, don't you?"

"You can stick them up your a...."

Madeline jerks her child's arm. "Katelyn Rose, that is enough out of you," she scolds, dragging her towards the door.

Turning around, Katelyn gives her principle the bird.

Shaking his head, Mr. Hensley walks to his office, his secretary follows behind him.

"You did your best, sir."

"I just wish I can figure out how to get through to her," he gloomily replies, watching the troubled child fade down the hall.

***

"What am I going to do with you now, Katelyn, huh, what?" Madeline scolds, lifting the child into her car seat.

"The kids were going to hurt me, mommy. They told me so, they told me so," she cries.

Madeline wants to believe Katelyn, but she isn't sure if she should, now that Katelyn's telling lies.

A few nights ago, she tried convincing Madeline that her uncle was touching her in her private place. Her Uncle Jeff hasn't been around in ages. Last night, she said that aliens destroyed her room. This morning she claims her dog told her he doesn't like his new food.

"Your father isn't going to like this one bit, young lady." Grabbing the cell from her purse, she quickly dials Katelyn's doctor. "Liz this is Madeline, Katelyn is acting out again and I could really use your help. You can't see her until Friday. I understand you're busy, but she tried to jump out of a second story window. We'll be right over."

***

"How long has this been going on, Madeline," Liz questions, glancing up from her notes.

"The principal said her first outburst happened a month ago. She's also starting to lie, saying people visit her late at night. First, it was her uncle and then aliens. She says her dog talks to her, too."

"When did this start?"

"Three nights ago."

"I need to run more tests, see if I can figure out what is going on." Glancing at the clock, she continues, "Meet me at the hospital around 6:30, we'll fill out her admission paperwork then."

"Admission paperwork?"

"Yes, it'll be easier to do these tests if we admit her overnight."

"But I can't stay with her," Madeline cries.

"She'll be fine without you for one night."

***

Madeline is at the hospital bright and early the following morning.

"Good morning, Mrs. Howard." A nurse replies.

"Where's Katelyn, is she alright?" she quickly blurts out.

"She's doing fine, see." her nurse says, walking her across the hall.

She sees Katelyn happily playing with other children in the toy room.

"I told you she'll be alright," Liz says, standing alongside Madeline.

"Did you find out what's causing her to act out?"

"Why don't we go in here," Liz says, leading her to an empty room. Grabbing Madeline's shaky hands, the doctor begins. "I know you don't want to hear this, but I believe Katelyn has schizophrenia."

"Schizophrenia, no that can't be, not my Katelyn," Madeline exclaims, bursting into tears. Her family has grievously struggled with her brother's mental illness for years.

"I'm sorry, honey, but that's what our tests show. I've even had another doctor confirm my diagnosis, just to be sure."

"But I didn't think symptoms start until late teens, it didn't with Jeff anyhow."

It usually doesn't, but there have been a few cases where children have shown symptoms.

"What am I going to do now?" Madeline sobs, as her family's horror replays in her mind.

 

     

© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement