FanStory.com - Deadlinesby ~Dovey
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Poetry Potlatch 7/15 - Double Etheree
Deadlines by ~Dovey



When
the clock
ticks, tracking
the passage of
time -- we race to win
as heartbeats punctuate -
facets of our lives unfold
with our pen strokes upon the page;
we forge ahead in moments of joy
or falter through sadness, struck down by rage.
As sands slip silently from glass to glass --
they mark the moments of our lives, pass
on traditions, our legacy
of written words, some erased
in our struggle with time
and space -- defined by
only those we've
left behind --
deadlines...
Time.

Recognized

Author Notes
Picture courtesy of Pixabay.

Topic: Poet's choice - mine... an aspect of time.

The poetry form, Etheree, consists of 10 lines of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 syllables. Etheree can also be reversed and written 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. Get creative and write an Etheree with more than one verse, but follow suit with an inverted syllable count.

Reversed Etheree: 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1

Double Etheree: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 10, 9, 8, 7, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1

...Triple Etheree, Quadruple Etheree, and so on!

I always like to center mine to get the pyramid, inverted pyramid, or diamond shapes.

Etheree Taylor Armstrong (1918 - 1994) was daughter, sister, wife, and mother to men who served in the military defending the United States of America. Not much is known publically about her life (proof you can't find everything on the internet) and what few details I could glean came from a man who had read her poems. The rest I found in small details etched on gravestones.

In the 1970's she created the Etheree, a ten line format ascending or descending in syllable count from 1 to 10. The Etheree has no set rhyme or meter requirement. As demonstrated above, a double etheree simply reverses the order of the lines. (more examples available at www.shadowpoetry.com)

Examples:

     

© Copyright 2024. ~Dovey All rights reserved.
~Dovey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement