FanStory.com - Kincaid Plantation Part 3by Sandollar
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Up and running slave plantation
Kincaid Plantation Part 3 by Sandollar

Warning: The author has noted that this contains the highest level of violence.
Warning: The author has noted that this contains the highest level of language.
Warning: The author has noted that this contains the highest level of sexual content.
THREE

Sichee didn't hear Lettie as she quietly opened the door and walked up behind her. She snatched the girl by the hair, spun her around, and slapped her hard across the face.

"You done lost your mind, girl? I know you ain't just spit in that jug!"

"Get away from me, old woman!" Sichee screamed as she placed a hand on her now inflamed cheek

"I hate her. Why she come here anyway?"

"She here because her daddy sent for her, that's why. You be smart and let this go, you hear me?"

Sichee balled her hands into tight fists and spat out:

"He's my daddy too."

"That he is, girl. But he don't want you! Now get!"

Sichee went out, slamming the door behind her.

That girl ain't gonna let this rest. I don't know what Massa was thinking bringing Miss Devora here. Nothing but trouble gonna come from it. Nothing but trouble. 
 
Devora walked outside into the bright sunshine. Josef, her father's driver, waited for her at the foot of the steps leading down to the driveway.

"Morning, Miss," he said, touching the brim of his work cap.

"Good morning, Josef. I understand you're going to show me around today."

"Yes, Miss. Your father said he wants you to see what all goes on here."

"Will we be going to Sugarbush? I keep hearing so much about it. I'd love to see it."

"No, Miss. Your father ain't say nothing about me taking you to Sugarbush."

"Oh.. alright then. I guess we should be on our way."

Josef opened the back door of the old station wagon and motioned for Devora to get in.

"No, I think I'll ride up front with you."

"Your father wouldn't like that, Miss."

"It'll be fine, Josef. If he's got something to say about it, he can say it to me. Let's go."

She got in the car beside him. Josef started the engine, and they drove down the drive to the main road. Half a mile down, Josef made a sharp left turn.

The landscape changed as lush foliage turned to green, flat grazing fields. There seemed to be hundreds of horses in various stages of maturity. And there were seven large stables to house them.

Big, black men carried bushels of corn and apples from outbuildings in the distance. Farther away, there were fenced-in tracks where handlers exercised the thoroughbreds. Their sleek, wet bodies shimmered in the sunlight.

"Where do they house the thoroughbreds? I'd like to see Cotton Bows and Dixie Dandy."

Cotton Bows and Dixie Dandy were horses that won the plantation several first-,place ribbons.

"Cotton Bows was sold off to another plantation down in Louisiana. And Mister Kincaid put Dixie Dandy out to stud. We got several other good show horses if you want to see them."

"No, not today. Let's just keep going, Josef."
They passed a group of wood houses, and Josef explained that this was where a lot of the people who
worked on the plantation lived. Lettie and Josef had a house on the compound.

Devora could not help noticing that these houses were not of the same standard as the main house, but they were neatly kept, the postage stamp yards, well maintained. Collard greens, high with purple and green leaves, grew in every garden. Large green tomatoes, trained to the vine, grew on their own patches of dirt.

Women carried husks of corn, green peas, and fresh butter beans in oversized aprons. The scene was not quite out of Uncle Tom's Cabin, but similar enough to give Devora a creepy feeling.

"I'd like to go back now, Josef"

But miss, we ain't seen all there is--"

"Now, Josef. I'd like to go back now." Devora said in a firm tone.

"Yes, Miss." Josef replied, defeated.

Unknown to Devora, this was one of two things for which Josef would be punished. The first offense was letting her sit up front with him in the car. He would be beaten so badly, he'd be out of work for two weeks.

Sichee, Lerlene and Jo-Ree sat in the kitchen of the house at the big, round table used to cut up vegetables brought in from the gardens.

Sichee was slicing collard greens using a small, sharp knife to separate the leaves from the stems in one in one smooth motion. She pointed the knife at Jo-Ree between slicing while she talked.
"She has no right to be here."

"She has Mister Kincaid as her daddy. That's all the right she need! And stop pointing that knife at me, Sichee!"

"Has everybody gone fool and forgot that he's my daddy too?" Sichee said, becoming more agitated.

"No, we haven't forgot. How can we when you bring it up every chance you get? He has never given you any special treatment, has he? He has never even said you was his daughter, and you looking just like him,too!"

"That's my point. Why he send all the way over to Tomaha City for that?"

"His name ain't on your birth certificate. You are just property to him" Lerlene, silent until now, contributed.

"If she weren't here, I bet I'd be more than some property then!"

"You work in the house; what more do you want? I gotta work outside all the time. The only reason I'm here
today is to help with these darn vegetables! An' if you do something to her, you know he'll beat you good and proper!"

"I don't care. She gonna get hers, good and proper!"

Just then, Devora came into the kitchen. The tension in the room was thick. Jo-Ree jumped up from the seat, her massive body moving the heavy table a few inches to the right.

"Why Miss Devora, you shouldn't be in here. It's so messy. Can I get something for you?"

"I wanted some water, thank you," Devora said, feeling extremely uncomfortable.

"You just go on into the dining room, and I'll bring it in."

Damn! I feel like an intruder. The way Sichee stared me down, I'd be stone cold right now if looks could kill. I'm going to have to keep an eye on her because she truly hates me.

There's so much going on in this place. It's just too much to handle. I'm going to have a long talk with Frank when he gets in. And I'm gonna do a little exploring on my own after dark. No more guided tours from the help. If I really want to know what's going on, that's what I'm going to have to do.

Devora noticed that the dining room table was set less formally than the night before. She asked Lerlene about it when she brought her water. She told her the table was set for early supper and the next evening.

Frank was giving a dinner dance in her honor. All efforts were being made to make it a premiere event. Early supper, taking place around three or four o'clock, made it a little easier on the house staff. Cooking for the party would be going on until the wee hours.

"That reminds me, Lerlene said, a wide grin on her face. Lettie wanted me to tell you to come upstairs when you get a minute."

"Thanks, I'll do that."

Devora finished her water and went up to her room. Lettie was removing a long, white ruffled dress out of protective wrapping.

"This here is what your father wants you to wear tomorrow night for the party. Pretty, isn't it?"

"It is, Lettie. But I brought clothes with me. Is this a formal occasion?"

"Yes, Miss. This is gonna be a grand party. Mister wants to introduce you to all his friends. Those boxes goes with it." She said, pointing to the
 
night table.

Devora suspected, as with the diamonds and emeralds, there was jewelry inside the oblong red velvet box. She gasped when she opened it and
 
found a three-strand pearl choker inside. In the center of the choker was an onyx and ivory cameo. A smaller box contained earrings which
 
were small cameos surrounded by pearls. Her eyes told her these were extremely rare, very expensive saltwater pearls.

Unlike the first time, the thought didn't even occur to her not to try them on. And she already knew she was going to keep them.
****
 
When Devora walked in, Frank Kincaid was seated with two other men at the dining room table. She interrupted an intense discussion between
 
them. The younger of the two strangers was speaking.

"When the government subsidy gets here, we'll be able to move twice as much--"

"Devora, come and join us. Gentlemen, I'd like you to meet ma daughter. Devora, this is Jubal and Leon Vermeil."

"How do you do?" Devora said. She did not offer to shake hands.

One brother stared at her as if she'd grown three horns. The other stared at her as if he was mentally undressing her. Both rose when her father introduced them.

Recalling last night's overheard conversation, she figured her father was being generous when he used the term "gentlemen" to describe these
 
two. They had an unsavory reputation; if last night's conversation was any indication, it was well-deserved.

She shivered slightly as she recalled the harsh laughter following a discussion of black bodies being drawn, quartered, and left out in the open to litter the road.

"How do, Miss." both said simultaneously and re-took their seats.

"Don't let me interrupt. You were saying something about waiting for a government subsidy?"

"Yes, Devora. The government subsidizes us for the crops we grow at Sugarbush."

"What do you grow there?" Devora asked, thinking she would finally learn something about the place.

The long silence that followed began to border on rudeness before Frank finally answered her.

"The best damn cannabis sativa on the whole eastern coast.
****
 

Author Notes
Thank you to all those who read and review. All misspelled words are intentional. I edited most of the dialect from the first draft.

     

© Copyright 2024. Sandollar All rights reserved.
Sandollar has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement