FanStory.com - This is Realby davisr (Rhonda)
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A new teaching model I developed for my chemistry classes.
The Educational Corporate Model: Us
: This is Real by davisr (Rhonda)

Background
I will now add pictures of what the students have produced on the PowerPoint slides. The original dialogue with the students does not include the photos. I'll explain them in author's notes.

End of last chapter:

"So, you'll make mistakes, too?"

"I expect so. I've never tried anything like this before, and I hope to learn as we go, just like you are."

"So you care what we think?" John spoke up. "I mean, like we can help make decisions?"

"That's what I'm counting on."

John flashed the hint of a smile as he looked at the screen. I had his attention, now what was I going to do with it?

Begin Chapter 4:

I looked around the room at a sea of focused eyes. Like John, I had their attention. I knew I needed to move quickly to keep it, and to share my new plan. I switched the PowerPoint to the next slide.




A member of group five read the writing on the screen. Another child began his interpretation.

"I don't know what a modified flipped classroom is," he said, "but my biology teacher last year used what she called a flipped classroom. She put videos on google classroom for us to watch about the subject we were studying. When we got to class, we did worksheets on it, or maybe a quiz. How is this different?"

"Well, it's sort of the same, but with more teacher direction," I explained. "I will produce my own videos where you can hear my voice, and see me work problems and discuss material. I'll have other videos posted to help you understand the material, but my lectures will be designed more after our local district tests."

"Will you ever lecture directly to us?" another student asked.

"Only when you ask," I said. "But don't worry, we'll ease into having you do the whole thing with less guidance. The first few videos I'll show in class where we can discuss them together. After I've modeled what I want you to do, you can watch the lectures and take notes."

"Will you have some worksheets or practice?" the student continued.

"Yes, and I'll post answers so you can check your work. After you feel comfortable, you and your group will take a quiz. You must get an 80 or above to move on to the next lecture."

"Sounds pretty good," a student from group five said. "But what do you mean about assignments not being counted late? I mean, isn't our work always marked down if it isn't turned in on time?"

"True, but you can choose what order to do them in. There will be a hard deadline each week of about three assignments. You choose which ones, until the test day, when everything is due. As we go on with the presentation today, maybe you'll get a clearer idea. Let's proceed to the next slide."




"Group six, your turn."

After reading the material on the Smart Board, a student raised her hand.

"Yes?"

"I think you're telling us what you're planning to do, and how it's going to be organized. It looks more like an introduction."

"It is," I agreed. "Anything stand out as different to you?"

"The part about asking for our input is good, but I'm not sure what that's going to look like."

"To start with, I'll give you choices about who the leaders will be in your groups," I said. "Also, as the program grows, I'm going to ask for your advice, and that of your parents, on different aspects of the structure. The idea is to grow this project together."

"What technology will we use?" John asked.

"Well, you have your Chromebooks and cell phones. I have a Smartboard. The rest of it is up to you and your imagination. I won't even begin to understand what you and your generation know about technology. Teachers today are afraid of that fact. I embrace it. . . I have to or you won't grow."

"Okay." John nodded, but I happened to catch a gleam in his eye. Hmm . . .  so technology was his specialty.

"Any more questions?" I asked. I was acutely aware that the students had fallen into their own routine. The organization I set up was still holding, but was morphing to meet their needs, and that was exactly what I wanted to happen. 

I smiled as I went to the next slide.




"Group one, again," I said. "You're back up."

"Whoa," the reader said. "What's a Fortune 6 Company? Is that something like, Fortune 500?"

"Very much, but I only have six class periods, so the top 6 producing companies, one in each class, will get honors. Now, please read the whole slide." I did, after all, have to try to keep a modicum of order.

The student finished reading but squirmed in her chair.

"Do you have another question?" I asked. 

"Yes, Ma'am, but let someone else talk," Isabel said. 'We have chosen our next speaker."

"Very well." I waited for their chosen speaker to talk.

A boy responded. "What are CC's?"

"Chemistry Capital," I said. "I'll explain later how you get them, but, basically, they're virtual money your company earns by completing tasks and getting good grades. We'll call them CC's. The group with the most at the end of each three weeks, will be designated a Fortune 6 Company."

"Thank you," the young man said. "So, it looks like this slide is telling us that we'll set up our groups like real companies. We'll have real roles or jobs, and that they will give us experience we can use in the future."

"That's exactly what we'll do," I said. "I mean, we'll certainly learn chemistry in the process, but more as adults, and less as children."

"So, this program, these groups," he continued. "They're legit. It's more than just school."

"That's my plan. I want you to learn something in here you can take with you when you graduate. In fact, I'll write each of you a letter of recommendation at the end of the year to use in interviews for scholorships, college entrances, or job interviews."

"This just got real," Savannah spoke up, "and that means something to me."

I nodded, It did to me, too.

 

Recognized

Author Notes
Image came from google.

I am writing this book because my District Science Coordinator asked me to after observing and interacting with my chemistry classes. Wish me luck!


Photos on the PowerPoints are of products me or my students have produced during the course of this half year, which is as long as the project has continued.

The first slide is a picture from one of my online (YouTube) videos.
Second slide: Products the students have made or performed in their corporate groups. The heart is a word-wall assignment.
Third slide: a product from a group, and their ID badges (more on that later)

     

© Copyright 2024. davisr (Rhonda) All rights reserved.
davisr (Rhonda) has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement