FanStory.com - The Pizza Manby Mustang Patty
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
...a Bernie and Howie story
2018 Bernie and Howie Stories
: The Pizza Man by Mustang Patty

The Mistress had been sitting in front of the little screen on her desk for most of the day.  Bernie watched her as she went to and fro.  She would sit for a while, and then go to put dishes in the wash box, sit back down at the desk, and then throw some clothes in the noisy machine in the closet.  Sometimes, she would go to cupboard and take out some treats, making him and Howie do some tricks before dropping the yummy morsels in their mouths.
 
It was a lazy day.  Sitting on the back of the couch, with the Mistress firmly in his line of sight, Bernie surveyed the living room.  He liked to spend time up here.  He could watch the front door, the Mistress, and Howie all at the same time.  Howie didn't move nearly as much as she did, but it was a good thing to know where he was.
 
Howie suddenly jumped up on the couch and began to make a nest in the blanket.  Using his feet and his nose, he moved the blanket to fit his body, and after turning around and round, he laid down.  Bernie was tempted to jump on him and disturb his rest, but he wasn't up to the growling and snapping.  Howie had such a temper!
 
"Howie, you will have to move.  I need to get up and put the clothes in the dryer."  He looked at her with baleful eyes.  He was so comfortable lying on the blanket next to her. He liked it when she simply laid on the couch and watched TV.  Her depressions were much more comfortable for him.  When she felt better, she moved around too much for his taste.
 
Bernie watched this exchange with interest.  If the Mistress was getting up, there was always a chance for a treat.  He wagged his tail at her in a plea for attention.  As she petted him on her way to the closet with the machines, Bernie started to try to 'talk' to her.  The moaning sound coming from his throat was the sound of his gentle words.  It wasn't a bark or a growl, but a low moan like a whisper.  He often tried to tell her something, and it was his greatest sorrow that she didn't always understand him.  This time, she heeded his words.  After switching the laundry, she went into the kitchen and grabbed a few treats.
 
He and Howie waited at the edge of the kitchen as she had taught them.  She walked towards them and smiled.  Holding the treat above his head, the Mistress ordered, "Up!"  Bernie stood on his back legs and gently accepted the tasty morsel.  He moved away and heard her repeat the process for Howie. 
 
Returning to the screen, the Mistress looked at something she called the 'tracker.'  She called out to them, "Okay, boys.  It's time to fence you in.  The pizza man is coming!"
 
She went to the bedroom and grabbed the hated gate.  Bernie wanted to growl, but he knew it would be of no use.  She placed the contraption in front of the bedroom door, and gently placed each of the dogs behind it.  Bernie's heart hurt.  How long would he have to be away from the Mistress?  Within minutes, there was a knock.
 
The smell of pizza wafted through the front door.  A large man stood holding the flat box and waited for the Mistress's signature.  She thanked him, closed the door, and inhaled deeply. 
 
Bernie and Howie were extremely excited.  Whining in anticipation, they waited for her to move the gate and give them their freedom.  Her progress was slow as she put the box down and went to the cupboard for a paper plate.
 
Finally, she came and took the hated thing down.  Running freely into the kitchen, the tantalizing smell was close at hand.   Salivating, they waited for the Mistress to eat.  They knew she would share some crust after the first piece.  Bernie could hardly contain himself.  The delicious smell was driving him crazy.  His wagging tail was a blur.
 
Voluntarily, they both stood on their hind legs in anticipation.  The pizza man always brought extreme happiness with him.  With the tasty morsels in their mouths, they chewed to great satisfaction.

 

Recognized

Author Notes
Bernie and Howie love everything about the pizza man's visits - except the gate treatment. I do my best to ease the pain, and I think the crust helps. Thank you for reading their stories. They send you their love!

     

© Copyright 2024. Mustang Patty All rights reserved.
Mustang Patty has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement