FanStory.com - haibun (moving means)by Gypsy Blue Rose
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
a contest entry about letting go of stuff
2017 JAPANESE POETRY
: haibun (moving means) by Gypsy Blue Rose
    Haibun Contest Contest Winner 






















I moved two weeks ago but I am still unpacking. I don’t have much more left but I know there are a couple of boxes somewhere in this house waiting for me. I can feel them. I gave away a lot of stuff and even tossed a lot in the garbage but I have more that I could get rid of.  I tried the Konmari method. It’s basically going through all your possessions and getting rid of everything that doesn’t give you joy.  It felt liberating but some things were too hard to let go so they linger.


 
 
 moving means
time to let go of the past—
our love in a box






 
Haibun Contest
Contest Winner

Recognized

Author Notes
Haibun is a Japanese poetic form that combines prose and haiku.

Thank you for reading,

Gypsy Blue Rose
Fanstory Haiku Teacher
Member of the Haiku Society of America
New Class Coming Up- Haiga Art - May 3rd

-------------Guidelines for Writing Haibun in English-------------
Haibun can be written in present and in past tense. The subject matter is autobiographical prose, travel journal, a slice of life, memory, dream short sketch of a person, place, event, or an object.

Traditional topics: life as a journey, love affairs, illness, human concerns, and experiences.

It's written in the first person (everything seen through the author's eyes), third person (he/she), or first person plural (we).

Uses sensory images, concrete details, no abstractions. Uses language to suit the subject matter and mood (colloquial, formal, dialect).

The length varies from very brief (1-2 sentences) with one haiku, to long prose entries with interspersed haiku, to memoir-length works.

The styles vary too=Haiku/prose, Prose/haiku, Haiku/prose/haiku, Prose/haiku/prose/haiku/prose/haiku etc.

The prose in haibun tells the story, gives information, defines the theme, creates a mood through tone. It provides a background to spotlight the haiku.

Haiku in Haibun moves the story forward. Takes the narrative in another direction. Adds insight or another dimension to the prose resolves the conflict in an unpredictable way, or questions the resolution of the prose.

The prose is the narrative and haiku is the revelation or the reaction.

source: Haiku Society of America, �??�?�©Margaret Chula


Marie Kondo KONMARI METHOD


     

© Copyright 2024. Gypsy Blue Rose All rights reserved.
Gypsy Blue Rose has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement