FanStory.com - Maryby Neonewman
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Anger leads to terror as Mary walks home alone.
Taker of breath
: Mary by Neonewman

Warning: The author has noted that this contains the highest level of violence.
Warning: The author has noted that this contains the highest level of language.



It was a long walk home.

The moon hid behind the earth's shadow, allowing the stars to rummage through the darkness. A disassembled array of chatter cluttered the air, as nocturnal creatures conversed amongst themselves.

Mary ignored their nightly rituals, as she had an agenda of her own.

"Why?" she asked as her foot stomped the old dirt road."Why do I take this crap from him?" she wailed with contempt. "I deserve a man, a good man," she paused as her thoughts drifted to a better place. "But maybe not this man." Her jaw clenched as she mumbled.
"So why hold onto him? " The true question finally surfaced. She dabbed both cheeks with the right cuff of Jeremy's green flannel shirt. His scent still lingered, which gave her a false, sense of security.

"Dammit, Jeremy!" she smiled. "Can't help but love your dumb, hick ass."

With tear-soaked eyes, she peered over her left shoulder. About fifteen or so feet away, she noticed a large flat object in the middle of the road. Curiosity brought her a few steps closer. There on the ground, she noticed an old weathered envelope. Mary inched closer, then stopped. She became a bit confused. For she found what the envelope offered.

In large, bold print.

A single word displayed.

MARY!

Each letter printed in a black, calligraphy style craft. An old art form of print, almost extinct in this day and age. Startled, she spun towards the thick, wooded area that draped the old dirt road.

"Jeremy." She trembled as she whispered his name. The air about became deathly quiet. Even the chatter had ceased to exist.

"What the hell, Jeremy?" Mary scanned the shadows. "It's not enough you've verbally assaulted me, now you want to scare the hell out of me as well." Once again, silence filled the air. "Asshole," she nervously whispered.

Mary was slow to bend at the knee. Ever so vigilant, her eyes strayed not from the edge of the woods. She extended her right hand forward and scooped the envelope from its resting place. "I ought to shove this up your ass, Jeremy Wayne Lacey!" She voiced her anger.

"I'm not Jeremy," whispered a calm voice, which commanded the dark.
"I am here to take away your pain, sweet young Mary." A sympathetic voice soothed the air.

Mary was stifled with fear.

"You will suffer only," he paused as he presented himself to Mary, "But for a moment longer."

She gazed into the eyes of this man-like creature who stood before her.

"Now, now," he whispered. "It's going to be ok."

The stranger gently slipped his abnormally sized hand around Mary's petite neck.
She was almost comforted by his grip. She drew a deep breath as if she were about to swim across beaver's creek beneath the stagnant water, as she'd done on many occasions.

He lifted her above the ground, as he focused upon her eyes.

"My wife's name was Mary!" His voice fell heavy.

His grip tightened. Mary struggled as she stared into his dark, ominous face.
She found his eyes to be blacker than coal, yet alive with color and cold that rattled her bones.

With his free hand, he stroked her cheek. Tears fell from her saddened eyes.
Seeing this, the stranger pressed his own cheek against hers and whispered.

"Goodnight sweet Mary." He drew back a deep breath. "Your story will be told for an eternity, for I am the taker of breath and on this night, I shall take yours."

The pressure he applied was more than the poor girl could stand. Her feet flailed wildly as panic set in. She tilted her head back, trying to wedge her own fingers between his calloused hand. Her attempts to free herself were futile. She had proven to be less than a formidable opponent against her attacker.

His strength and desire had overcome her. Mary's body twitched as the last moments of her life faded. She drifted into unconsciousness. He removed his right hand from her collapsed throat, still holding her above ground with his left hand. A fierce roar, bellowed from within as he thrust his right hand beneath the flesh of her torso. He closed his eyes and sighed, then violently jerked his hand from within, allowing her entrails to spill upon the old dirt road. Her shoe fell from the right foot as she fell limp beneath his grasp.

He cocked his head sideways, as the sound of an oncoming vehicle beckoned. He stepped back into the edge of the wooded area as not to be seen. Mary swayed beneath his left hand, as the vehicle approached. A vintage Chevrolet pickup truck moving at high speed roared their way. A piercing growl exited his soul, then he tossed Mary's lifeless body in front of the oncoming vehicle.

He watched intently as the truck swerved violently to the right, then abruptly stopped as it plowed into the large oak tree before it. Smoke billowed from beneath the hood as liquids spewed and hissed. He strolled over to the scene of his crime and noticed a young man lying unconscious in the driver's seat. Blood splattered the contents of the truck, this comforted the stranger's soul.

He removed a piece of parchment from beneath his weathered cloak. He pulled a quill from his breast pocket and penned these words.

This morning as I awoke.
I became sorely nauseated
at the fact that I was still
capable of drawing a proper breath.

I made no attempt towards the bathroom.
Instead, I emptied my sour gut
into the pail, next to my bed.
Last night again I prayed for death.

Mary is the first of many!

The ominous figure reclaimed the blood-stained envelope, which had fallen from Mary's hand. He carefully folded the parchment and stuffed it inside. He shifted his gaze upon the wreckage once more, then released the envelope and disappeared into the night!



Recognized

Author Notes
This piece will be up for review for a second time. It's been over a year ago I attempted to edit (which I am still a long way from doing well) and display for public review. I will be adding my chapters weekly until they have been completed. I am looking for honest feedback please. Not sure about the format, hopefully it will be easy to read. I have what I feel is a great story to tell, if you are willing to follow along.
Thank you for your time, and enjoy the horror.

     

© Copyright 2024. Neonewman All rights reserved.
Neonewman has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement