FanStory.com - The Bloody Ploughmanby prettybluebirds
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
An apple that reminds me of my father
The Bloody Ploughman by prettybluebirds
What kind of apple are you? contest entry

The apple called the Bloody Ploughman reminds me of my father and his nickname.

In the 1930s my father was plowing a new field with his team of horses when he plowed up an underground nest of yellow jackets; the wasps attacked the horses and my father viciously. The horses panicked, ran through a barbed wire fence and a briar patch as my father fought to get them under control.

Father and the horses arrived at the house with blood dripping from numerous cuts and scratches. My mother called him the bloody plowman, and the name stuck forever.

 

Recognized

Author Notes
The name of the apple is spelled differently than the nickname my mother gave my dad, but it is close enough.

(1883 Gowrie, Scotland, UK is the origin of the apple.) There is a colorful story behind the rather strange name. A ploughman was caught stealing apples from the Megginch estate and shot by a gamekeeper. His wife threw the stolen apples on a rubbish heap. One of the seedlings which arose was rescued and gave rise to the variety which was named after the unfortunate ploughman.

The picture is of my father plowing with his team in the 1930 era.

     

© Copyright 2024. prettybluebirds All rights reserved.
prettybluebirds has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement