FanStory.com - The Night Begins-part 2by davisr (Rhonda)
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Archie and Koko discuss escape plans.
Humanity Project
: The Night Begins-part 2 by davisr (Rhonda)
Artwork by eileen0204 at FanArtReview.com

Background
Koko and Archie discuss escape plans. During the talks, they decide to find Todd before alerting anyone on the outside. Koko fears Leander will hide the prisoners before the authorities can find them.

Summary:

Ayala stopped to talk to Koko on her way to bed. She didn't stay long, but happened to notice the burlap bag Koko was packing to escape. Koko convinced her it was harmless, so Ayala left. Archie showed up a few minutes later. Koko let him in to discuss their escape plans.

The story continues:

"Are you ready to go?" Archie asked.

"Almost, but listen, Ayala was just in here and saw my bag. I told her it contained samples for my research. I think she believed me, but she's a really suspicious person. We'll need to be extra careful."

"I've handled shrewd people before," Archie said.

"You don't know Ayala."

"You don't know my mother."

"Mother ..." Koko repeated, her voice barely above a whisper. "Archie, do you think I'll make a good one?"

"Of course, my dear. You have great instincts or you wouldn't be risking your life to protect that baby."

Koko nodded and touched Archie's hand. "I'm glad you showed up."

"I guess I am, too. This isn't how I'd prefer to have found out about Hokee, but it's fortunate I did. My father definitely needs to know what's going on."

"Yes, but not before we find Todd. If he's in the mines, we'll have to get to him before the scientists."

"My father wouldn't tell anyone about Hokee until the miners are safe."

"He wouldn't have to; they'd know. Archie, you have no idea how powerful the scientists are, especially Leander."

"Leander and his buddies may have a compound of orphans bullied, but I'm not afraid of him. I've met his type before."

"But you promised me yesterday..."

"I know, and don't worry, I'll keep my promise."

"Thank you."

"You're welcome, but you'll have to keep your word, too. If we can't find out where Todd is by midnight, we go forward with the plan."

"Oh, I know, and I have an idea on that. Junior has a book where he keeps records of disciplinary actions. All we have to do is get to it and then we'll know what's happened to Todd."

"Where's it kept?"

"In Junior's office in the Hawk House. Todd saw it there a few months ago when he was called in about his dreams. Junior threatened to write his name in it if he stopped taking his medicine, or if the dreams came back."

"Do you think he'd let me look at it since they think I'm going to be teaching law?"

"It's possible, but you'd have to make an appointment."

"How long would it take to get in?"

"A day or two, if he's not busy."

"Yeah, that's not happening."

"We could always let Sani set a diversion so we can sneak in and read it."

"Sani?"

"He's an old man who lives in the Ant House, and helps them take care of the animals."

"You have old people in Hokee? Everyone I've seen is about my age or younger."

"We have just the one. He isn't from here, as you might have guessed. He used to be a miner in Colorado, but ended up stranded like you. He's been part of my escape plans from the start. He's, also, the only other person who knows about the baby."

"It's always nice to have an ally, but how old is he?"

"Very."

"Wow, are you sure he's up to survival in the desert?"

"He seems to think so. He also has experience with explosives, and plans to set something off tonight to divert attention from our escape."

"When were you planning to tell me about this?"

"Before we started out. I had to talk to Sani this morning and make sure he could do it tonight. I didn't want to offer services he wasn't ready to deliver."

"But he's okay with it?"

"Yes, but I'll need to talk to him about the changes."

"How can you contact him? I know you don't have cell phones."

"He's waiting behind the Coyote House," Koko said, smiling at Archie's sarcasm. "I have to slip out and hide our burlap bags by the back fence, anyway. I'll talk to him then. Do you have your bag ready?"

"It's upstairs. I'll go get it."

"Good, and, Archie, thank you again."

Archie nodded and slipped out, looking around carefully to make sure Ayala wasn't lurking about.

Koko closed the door and leaned against it, feeling the familiar rough surface with her hands. She squeezed her eyes together as she thought about the uncertainties ahead. Swarmed by a myriad of conflicting emotions, Koko sighed and let her hand fall to the growing bulge in her midsection.

"If only," she said, and then turned and grabbed her burlap bag.

Recognized

Author Notes
Special thanks go out for the artwork, "Stern Bird of Prey" by eileen0204.

Summary of the book so far:

Archie Franklin is a United States Senator from the State of Texas. He's also the President's son.
He was traveling the west, scoping out New Mexico for a committee he was on, when a deer ran in front of his Ferrari and caused him to crash.

He was rescued from the desert by a group from a cult-like village called Hokee. In this town, the people are part of an experiment to improve the human condition by taking orphans and raising them isolated from many of the modern conveniences that make mankind weak.

The children, as young as 5, are placed in houses named after animals, but otherwise taught animals are dangerous and unclean. Each "house" has a particular job in the community based on the attributes of the representative animal.

The leader, Leander, chooses what children are brought to the village. He doesn't want anyone to know about the compound so they can maintain isolation. Archie is now a prisoner, but has befriended a young lady, Koko, whose husband has come up missing, and is assumed imprisoned in a penal mining colony.

Working against odds, the two hope to escape and protect Koko's unborn child. Having babies at stage one of the experiment is forbidden by the scientists in charge. Teens are sterilized at puberty to avoid pregnancies, but occasionally one will be conceived. Standard operating procedure is to perform an abortion, but Koko is willing to fight against all she's grown up to believe to give her child a chance at life.

These are the 12 houses of Hokee:

Hawk: Where Leander Jr. lives. They are the strict rulers of the compound, answerable only to Leander Sr..

Cougar: The strong arms of the Hawks. They dish out whatever punishment is required, even to sending miscreants to another settlement they have up North in the mines.

Coyote: The one Archie and Ayala are in: Job: Teachers and professors. Allowed more knowledge of the "outside world".

Ant: Considered unclean, these people tend meat and fur animals outside the village

Tarantula: Architects, and menders

Donkey: Transportation and communication

Wasp: Prepare and serve food

Deer: Sports and entertainment

Hare: Make and distribute clothing

Rat: Childcare

Snake: healthcare

Buzzards: Clean up crew, maintain sewer and custodial chores


General Summary of the Book:

Young Texas Senator, Archie Franklin, finds himself marooned in the desert with a group of people who are more than they appear to be on the surface.

Hokee: Name of the village Archie is held in. It means, "The abandoned."

Characters:

Archimedes (Archie) Franklin: High energy, main protagonist, who is, also, a Senator from Texas, and son of the President of the United States, Andrew Franklin.

Ayala: Female head of household in the house Archie finds himself imprisoned.

Andrew (Andy) Franklin: President of the United States, and father of Archie.

Koko: Ayala's best friend in Coyote House, close as sisters, born on the same day.

Todd: Koko's husband

Sani: Old man. Used to be a miner up north. Another trapped refugee from the desert. An ally in the quest to escape.

Others to be listed as they appear in the book.




     

© Copyright 2024. davisr (Rhonda) All rights reserved.
davisr (Rhonda) has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement