FanStory.com - Like a River Makes a Mountainby michaelcahill
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Prose Potlatch Challenge--Ekphraksis
Like a River Makes a Mountain by michaelcahill













 

After this many years, hallucinations are welcome in my world. I dare say I think I may even have control over their appearance and temperament.
 
When I reached a point where I knew hallucinations came from my mind and reality remained reality, I grew to enjoy them. I no longer felt as though my mind failed me, but rather my mind helped me and even soothed me by assuaging my loneliness.
 
A woman of uncommon loveliness, a figment, a brief fairy flight of fancy, tickles the giddiness of something inside me I can't begin to define. I observe her from a distance as I pretend to live a drab existence. Nothing is drab in her realm.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
It will soon be Winter. He's a good man. I am without complaint. But, snow is cold and warmth is essential. These few fish mean so much to us if there is to be an us. I will tell him once again how wonderful he is. It spurs him to be a fisherman.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
I am this river, one of many rivers. Though there is that perception that water is water, an angry vapor the same as an indifferent glacier, the truth is, I am. It isn't the water that makes me a river. It is my awareness of life inside me. It is the sense of purpose I feel seeking my destination. It is the connection I make between a dreaming man and a practical woman.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
A moment has no measure. Time is the sum of all moments.



 

Recognized

Author Notes


"Like a river makes a mountain" is a line from a song, "Cell by Cell".

"Somewhere deep inside
Where I cannot hide
cell by cell.

Like a river makes a mountain
because it is a river
cell by cell,
cell by cell"

POTLATCH Poetry AND Prose Topic: 12-24

For the Poetry Potlatchers:
Write a poem based on the following picture:
You may change the picture to one that suits you better if you wish.



For the Prose Potlatchers, write a STORY. :))
You may also substitute an image more to your liking.

An ekphrastic poem is a vivid description of a scene or, more commonly, a work of art. Through the imaginative act of narrating and reflecting on the action of a painting or sculpture, the poet may amplify and expand its meaning.
Simply put: Take a look at the image and use your imagination to write whatever you are inspired to write. :))


     

© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement