FanStory.com - The Night Santa Lost A Letterby s.m.kirby
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A wish for a fire truck
The Night Santa Lost A Letter by s.m.kirby
Artwork by meg119 at FanArtReview.com

This happened many years ago.In a time when Santa Claus-some called him St. Nicholas others Kris Kringle-and his Reindeers delivered the toys girls and boys had asked for in their letters to him.
All had been ready that night -the sleigh was packed and the Reindeers were eager to be on their way.Santa paused to light the pipe that would keep Jack Frost from biting his nose..then picked up the bundle of letters,all written to him by girls and boys who had faith in him-who knew he was real.
Then with a ho! ho! ho!and sleigh bells ringing Santa was on his way.He had the sky to himself.for in that long ago time there were no airplanes or satellite there were only stars in the sky to guide his Reindeers around the world.
They had made good time and traveled far-then how it happened neither of the reindeers could say,but one of Blitzen's hoofs struck one of Dancer's and the pain caused him to lurch.Almost overturning the sleigh,Indeed,if Rudolph had not kept right on running pulling the others with him,Santa and his Reindeers,all the toys and the sleigh would have fallen out of the sky and it would have been a sad Christmas for boys and girls all over the world.
Santa had dropped his bundle of letters on the seat beside him to help Rudolph right the sleigh and after Dancer had assured him he could go on they continued on their way.
Santa gathered up his letters and did not see the one that had dropped to the floor of the sleigh. As the wind whipped through the sleigh the letter was moved little by little closer to the edge and then out it fell,drifting slowly downward like a giant snowflake to earth in a country a far distant from that of the little boy who had written it.
Santa continued on his way sorting his toys, and climbing over housetops,through windows and doors.He would not forget one boy or girl,But only those who had written letters would be sure of getting toys they wanted.
Now in the yard of a home in that country the lost letter had fallen another little boy was out playing in the snow when it landed near by. He picked it up but could not read what was written on it. He took it home to his mother but she could not read it and told him to throw it away.
This the little boy did not do.He took it to school but even his teacher could not read the strange writing.
Luckily ,this was the day his school was having it's Christmas party and one of Santa's many helpers was standing by to hand out the oranges,candy canes and presents that had been placed under the tree.He had listen as the boy told his teacher how the letter had fallen out of the sky.He took the letter from the teacher and as he read his eyes grew round and he exclaimed."The wind could not have blown this letter all the way from the United States. St. Nicholas must have lost this letter as he passed over Denmark.I am going to put a call in to the North Pole-He should be there by midnight.He will know what to do about it"
Santa, Mrs. Santa, the elves and the reindeers were gathered around the huge fireplace having their own Christmas when the phone rang.
"Whats that you say Fritz? I lost a letter over Denmark written by a boy in the United states! That must have happened when Dancer stumbled almost upturning the sleigh.Thanks for for calling -you know I never want to disappoint a girl or boy who writes to me.What did he ask for?A firetruck-Where does he live? 999 Holiday Road N.IN Jacksonville Florida.Yes I have it but why couldn't it have been from some one in Canada or Lapland or some other place near by?Go home Fritz and have a Merry Christmas.I will take care of this.
Santa turned to face his elves who had gather ed around.They knew something very unusual and serious had happened.
"Listen now, all of you and pull your wits together.A little boy will go to bed tonight with tears in his eyes because I lost his letter."
Now some of you put together the finest firetruck you have ever made.Work fast there is not much time.
"I know all my reindeers are tired and sleepy I know Dancers feet are sore. So I will take my smallest .fastest sleigh and I will not have a heavy load only one reindeer will be needed.Who will volunteer?
All were tired, they had traveled around the world once that night.Then Rudolph stood up,and again he said 'I will guide your sleigh tonight."
Thank you Rudolph, "
I knew I could count on you."
To the elves he said,"get out the sleigh ,and put in plenty of warm blankets. It is bitter cold out tonight.
All hurried off,and Mrs. Santa helped Santa with his coat,tied his scarf,and put his pipe in his mouth."Do you really feel you must go out again for just one little boy?"
"I do Santa replied, emphatically, and away he and Rudolph went carrying the finest firetruck that had ever been made in his workshop.
In the home of the little boy whose letter had been lost the lights were out.The tears had dried on his face and he was fast asleep.
He knew now that Santa had not received his letter.Mother had told him of the many things that could have happened to it,and promised to take him shopping after Christmas for the firetruck he wanted so badly.
Santa found the house and looked in all the windows until he saw the little boy asleep in his bed.He saw the tears that had dried on his face and shook his head.He quickly raised the window and placed the firetruck on the bed.Then quickly ,he and Rudolph were on their way back to the North Pole and the warm cheers that awaited them.As they flew along,Santa said "
Rudolph we have done a good thing tonight. we have kept faith with a little boy who believed in us,"
Morning came and the little boy opened his eyes and saw his fire truck."Mother Mother ,Santa did get my letter.He did not forget-here is my firetruck."
Mother and Daddy came running -they thought he was having a dream.When they saw their little boy holding that beautiful firetruck.they looked at one another for they knew they had not put it there.
Then Mother said softly,'Sometimes miracles do happen on Christmas Eve.
Merry Christmas

Author Notes
My great Aunt wrote this story 35 years ago when she was late coming to our house for Christmas from Ohio to FL, do to the weather,she was bringing my son a fire truck.I inherited the book after she passed away.I would love to get it published some day or have it turned into a children's Christmas show like Rudolph,or Frosty the snowman.Maybe Thank you Meg119 for the art work.

     

© Copyright 2024. s.m.kirby All rights reserved.
s.m.kirby has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement