FanStory.com - Dear Tomby prettybluebirds
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A tragic accident in 1985
Dear Tom by prettybluebirds
I'm Sorry contest entry

Dear Tom,


It's November 30th again. The 31st anniversary of the worst day of my life, and perhaps, yours too. I'm sure you remember November 30th, 1985; the day I lost my only son and, and you lost your good friend.

You have probably blamed yourself all these years, but the it was poor judgment on the part of all adults concerned. As parents, we had no business turning three teenage boys loose in the woods carrying powerful rifles. We were inviting a tragedy.

I have often wondered how the death of my son, Roy, affected your life. It must have been awful for you at the time; seeing him lying there dead and knowing you were the cause of his death. Yes, it was an accident, but I'm sure that didn't make it any easier for you. How could you have known the gun would fire while you were unloading?

Please accept my apology for not writing to you years ago. There is no excuse for my neglect in this matter, and I hope you will forgive me too. Letting you live all those years thinking I never forgave you was a cruel and unnecessary act on my part. Please forgive me. 

I would like a letter from you someday telling me how you managed all this time. I have always wondered what became of you after that terrible incident. Please humor an old me and let me know how you are today.
 

Recognized

Author Notes
This is a letter I should have sent many years ago. Tom has probably spent his whole life thinking I hate him and will never forgive him. I am going to send this before Christmas. I'm seventy years old now and should never have neglected this so long. The picture is of my son, Roy, and his dog named, Dog.

     

© Copyright 2024. prettybluebirds All rights reserved.
prettybluebirds has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement