FanStory.com - A Willing Castawayby damommy
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A dream fulfilled. 1,265 words
A Willing Castaway by damommy
Castaway contest entry

I never dreamed I could to it.
 
I was a perfectly happy, slightly elderly woman, content with my needlework and my cat.  One morning, this brochure showed up in the mail promising the trip of my dreams.  I knew this was something I really couldn’t afford, but I couldn’t stop thinking about it.  Not the trip.  My plan.
 
I never said a word to anyone about what I was doing.  Quietly selling everything, including my house, I prepared for this trip, purchasing just what I’d need for my plan.  I bought a special traveling crate for the cat to travel in.  
 
Came the day to board the ship for this promised fabulous trip, the sky was overcast, and I wondered if that was an omen.  I had a few moments of doubt.  Once on the ship, however, excitement soon took place of those doubts, and I began to relax and enjoy myself.
 
We settled in our stateroom, my cat and I, and he had to keep to his crate if he were to stay in here with me.  At night, when there was no danger of anyone coming to my room, Felix was free to play.
 
From my big beach bag, I took the map I had looked at until it was just about worn out.  It’s been handled so much that it’s become soft and wrinkly.  I never tired of thinking of my dream.  Just how many days until X marks the spot?
 
Our first port of call, everyone was buzzing about what they were going to do onshore.  I donned some baggy white walking shorts and a soft yellow loose-fitting blouse, the coolest clothes I had.  The heat is stifling.
 
I didn’t want to be too conspicuous, but I browsed around to see if there was anything I didn’t have that I’d need.  My supplies were fairly restricted, you see.
 
Back on board, it came to me it would be best to stay to myself more.  Not a good idea to become known to a lot of people.  So, the next few stops, I stayed in my room with Felix and Oscar.
 
We were getting close to the destination.  Not the ship’s.  Mine.  This would be the night.
 
Making certain everyone was asleep and not likely to be walking around on deck, I made my move.  Gathering up the crate and my big beach bag, I literally tip-toed to the lifeboats.  It was a struggle to lower it without making a lot of noise, but finally, we were in it and on our way.  We should be “there” long before morning.
 
Father teaching me how to navigate by the stars has definitely been a godsend, so it was no trick to find my island in the dark.  I pulled the boat way up on shore to unload, and then made sure to hide it somewhere it couldn’t be seen by any passers-by.
 

The cat will have to stay in his crate until he gets used to his new place.  One good thing, he can’t get lost.
 

I found a little cave-like depression for us to sleep in for a while.  Time enough to work on our living quarters.  I lay down on some palms that had fallen there, and could smell the sea air and hear the waves gently coming in and going out.  The last thing I remember before falling asleep was looking at the gazillion stars above.  What a wonderful feeling.
 

This is what I’d always dreamed of – being on an island all by myself.  With the cat, of course.  I only have three things – my Bible, my cat and my bag.  The bag was a must because I could stuff so much into it.
 
The first morning, we woke to a beautiful day.  The sun’s reflection on the water, the gentle breeze that felt so good, and the feel of sand between my toes were just as I had imagined it.  Once the cat was out of crate, he had a high ole time exploring their new surroundings.  I knew he wouldn’t go far because he was thrilled with the giant litter box I called the beach.
 

Food was our next concern.  What I packed in the bag wouldn't sustain us for long, so I had to try some fishing and trapping.  Not to worry – cats will always find something, and I'd soon get the hang of providing for myself.
 

Our first setback was a storm.  I guess you could call it a tropical storm.  Whatever, it certainly kept us pinned down in the “cave” a couple of days.  Thank goodness for the matches.  I’d gathered driftwood before the storm, so at least we had light and warmth.  The two of us provided body heat for each other, too.
 

Falling back on my Girl Scout training, I began to work on our new abode.  I’m hoping that storms are an infrequent occurrence, and we won’t need a really substantial dwelling.  I realized with a screen of sorts across the opening, our little cave would provide us with a very good shelter, keeping out wind and rain when it happened again.
 
Felix  thought it was playtime when I began to hack at some saplings to make my frame for the screen.  He especially enjoyed my weaving attempts, giving me much unwanted help.
 
We’ve been here a while now, and doing very nicely.  I’ve become fairly good at spear fishing, and even made a suitable trap for small critters.  So far, we’ve had only fish to eat and all the fruit I could possibly want.  I miss potatoes. 
 
I don’t know how long we’ve been here.
 
How I wish I’d packed my needlework.  I spend what leisure time I have reading the Bible, and rationing my book.  However, life on an island alone is more work than I’d thought, so when I do have free time, it’s spent resting up for more survival work.  Backbreaking work.
 
I really miss potatoes.  And popcorn and Diet Dr. Pepper. 
 
One thing I’ve really enjoyed and that’s bathing in the ocean with gardenia-scented body wash.  It’s nearly gone. 
 
Last night, we sat on the beach - or giant litter box, depending on who you ask – with a nice fire going.  The trap I’d built finally held some payoff for us.  Don’t ask me what it was.  I don’t know. I don’t want to know.  But it was really tasty after all that fish.
 
Early this morning, great clamour and commotion.  What the . . . ?

A yacht was anchored just a little way off from our beach/litter box.  They had come ashore looking for whoever had built that fire last night.  Well, I hadn’t expected to attract any attention when I built it, but what a relief!  Island life was not what I expected.  When they offered to take us back to civilization, I couldn’t gather up our stuff quick enough.  From what they say, we’ve been here three months!  It was beginning to feel like years.
 
As I’m boarding the yacht, I look back at my island.  The Bible and the book I left in case someone else came here.  I’m done with island living, but I’m glad I had this opportunity.  It was an adventure I’ll never forget. 
 
How many can say they realized a dream as I have? 

 
 

 
 
 

Author Notes
I hope this is acceptable. It was fun to write. Thank you for reading it. 8-)

     

© Copyright 2024. damommy All rights reserved.
damommy has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement