FanStory.com - Feline AIDSby Brett Matthew West
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The Feline Immunodeficiency Virus
Feline AIDS by Brett Matthew West

COMMENTARY:

My article, "Feline AIDS" has been composed, and presented here on FanStory, for my many, many readers to enjoy. If they happen to be cat fanciers, perhaps the topic will be something they are not aware of.

So, as I say about all the pieces I regularly post, sit back, relax, kick your shoes off, prop your feet up, and enjoy! That is why I post them here on FanStory.


******************************************************************************************
******************************************************************************************

Feline AIDS

Commonly known as Feline AIDS, the Feline Immunodeficiency Virus, (FIV, for short), often produces many questions for cat owners. As with any other ailment a pet may incur, these owners are well served to learn as much about Feline AIDS as they can.

Widespread throughout Catdom, a red flag alert for Feline AIDS is a drop in the cat's white blood cell count, which can be determined by a veterinarian-ordered FIV/FELV blood test. A normal low white blood cell count in cats would range from about 4,900 to 20,000.

The enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay, (FIV/FELV blood test), may produce a false positive result and a follow-up test, most often the Western Blot Test, should be conducted. The purpose of this particular test is to determine if antibodies to Feline AIDS are present in the cat's blood. Keep in mind the current vaccine for Feline AIDS, popularly known as Fel-O-Vax FIV, that I will also touch on, is controversial.

Feral cats, semi-feral cats (those a pet owner begins feeding as a feral cat then attempts to domesticate), and cats that spend significant time outside, should be tested annually for Feline AIDS, as should new cats brought into the home. Most veterinarians recommend a kitten be six months old before receiving the Feline AIDS test because they can show false positive antibodies from the mother cat.

Early onset symptoms of Feline AIDS may include anorexia, lethargy, fever, and lymphadenopathy, a lymph node disease. From this stage the cat moves on to an asymptomatic stage that can range from a few months to several years. Then, finally on to the Feline AIDS stage where most of the secondary diseases associated with this ailment occur and cause the cat's death.

Issues Feline AIDS-infested cats may endure include upper respiratory infections, bladder infections, skin infections, kidney failure, diarrhea, secondary infections, and secondary diseases.

Feline AIDS may be treated through aggressive treatment of secondary infections and a high protein diet. These can help the cat live a reasonably normal life span. Another common form of treating Feline AIDS is with the Lymphocyte T-Cell Immunomodulator. This treatment option regulates CD-4 lymphocyte production in cats and guards against infection.

Feline AIDS is generally believed to be transmitted from saliva to blood, caused by deep tissue biting. This event may some times be incurred in territorial fighting. Scratches that break the cat's skin are also attributed as another means of contracting this ailment.

A retrovirus, Feline AIDS affects a relatively low two percent of all cats in the United States. Although not impossible, the chances of a Feline AIDS-infested cat passing the ailment on to other cats by mutual grooming, and eating out of the same bowl, are slim.

Mother cats can spread Feline AIDS to their kittens during gestation, nursing, or giving birth to their young. Uniquely, not all Feline AIDS-infested mother cats pass the ailment on to their kittens. However, it is highly recommended by most veterinarians that all kittens from "Queens," or mother cats, be tested for Feline AIDS.

Feline AIDS-infested cats are commonly treated by a healthy diet, anti-oxidants, vitamins, Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids, and Interferon-Alpha. This drug stimulates certain immune system cells in the cat. Flea control is another key ingredient in treating Feline AIDS-infested cats because fleas can transmit parasites, and flea bites may become infested as well.

Feline AIDS was first isolated in cats in 1986 by Dr. Niels Pedersen, of the University of California, Davis. A one-time Director of the Center for Companion Animal Health. He is also a recognized expert in retroviruses and immunologic disorders of small animals. However, Immunologist Janet Yamamoto, of the University of Florida, is credited with most of the original isolation of Feline AIDS in cats.

Feline AIDS possesses five strains with Clade B being the most common in the United States. For cat fanciers the thought of their cat having Feline AIDS may be hard to deal with as ultimately the ailment is fatal to infested cats.

The normal life expectancy range for healthy cats typically hovers between 12 to 15 years. Cats who live inside permanently may extend those statistics.

Food for Thought: A tough decision for all pet owners to have to make is the question: is it ethically correct to move away and leave a pet behind, simply because it may have an ailment?

NOTE: So far, reviewers have provided a resounding "NO WAY!" as their answer to this question.

However, do not allow their sentiments to sway you. It is a fair question that most pet owners must sooner or later deal with.

All responses to this question would be appreciated in your review.

@Copyrighted October 23, 2016 by Brett Matthew West

Recognized

Author Notes
Mighty Mom, by SteveANH, selected to compliment my article.

So, thanks SteveANH, for the use of your picture. It goes so well with my article.

     

© Copyright 2024. Brett Matthew West All rights reserved.
Brett Matthew West has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement